Year In Review-- 2020 Edition

Good riddance, 2020. I know, I know. I should be grateful for challenging times-- they force us to grow, right? And since I usually approach growth and change kicking and screaming, I guess I shouldn't resent 2020 dragging me through it (especially since the whole world was right alone with me). But I thought I would do a recap of the major highlights/changes/reality-smacks of the year, before we head into 2021. 

January At this point I honestly cannot remember WHAT happened last January. It feels like ten years ago now. I'm sure I was stressed. But I had no idea what was ahead... 

February My uncle passed away and we were able to have a real funeral and meet together with the extended family to celebrate his life (another thing I didn't realize how soon I would miss). I got to attend the temple for the last time in 2020. I also ran my last half marathon and received my "star" for completing five of the Phoenix/Mesa races in a row (four halves and one full marathon). I didn't realize it would probably be my last race altogether. I don't know. Maybe I'll get to run a trail race again, someday. Between cancellations and my joint issues it's unlikely. 

March Spring break got "extended" and my family enjoyed a bunch of stuff with almost no one there. B played her one and only time in an 8th grade basketball game. We attended church in person for the last time before a six month hiatus. 

April We got to skip the standardized testing for the year, which was actually a relief. Normally that means I have to do some serious juggling to get J into a physical campus for his school. This year we were all at home and no crazy scrambling to get him one hour south and the other kids thirty minutes north at the same time. 

May I took the first of my pandemic-year trips (oddly enough, I have traveled more this year than I have in a long time). My dad and I took B, K, and S and visited my aunt and uncle so we could help maintain their local cemetery (mostly filled with relatives). M and B had virtual graduations from high school and 8th grade. Which was strange but entertaining, and kind of nice that we could skip through all the boring parts. 

June Terence spent weeks on riot duty, which was stressful, to say the least. The next of my pandemic year trips to Texas with Camie, B, K, & S. We helped pack up my sister Amy (they moved back to AZ at the end of the month). M got her first job as part of an assembly line and started working an insane schedule of 12 hour shifts 4-5 days a week. 

July My neighborhood decided to heck with cancellations of fireworks shows and shot off full size fireworks from the end of our street. It was LOUD (but still reassuring, that people were actually celebrating a holiday). B, K & S started a new school year, virtually. 

August My brother-in-law passed away after a very long battle with melanoma. Terence and I made a flying trip to CA for a very small outdoor memorial service. J started his junior year online, and the three younger kids went back to school in person (masks, weird hallway markings, strict lunch rules and all). We packed up my parents and essentially moved them out of their house in preparation for a major remodel (three large storage units worth of stuff). 

September Terence and I delivered M to college out of state. It was both exciting and scary to leave her alone, several states away from us. Three days after we left, she was quarantined after a roommate tested positive for covid. My dad's ongoing infection issues from his dental implants took a sharp turn south. 

October My dad was hospitalized for the first time as his ongoing bone infection threatened his life. He got out in time to spend Halloween sitting on our driveway in front of a fire pit as the kids went trick or treating. It was a nice, low key holiday with just enough normal to really feel like we were celebrating. 

November I completed my seventh Nanowrimo novel. B made the JV basketball team. J got his driver's license. We moved my parents back into their (mostly) finished house. My dad was hospitalized again, and made the decision to remove his implants, which meant no upper teeth, dentures, or dental appliance of any kind (there is no bone left there after all the infection). It was touch and go for awhile whether he would lose sight in one of his eyes. After multiple surgeries he made it home in time to spend Thanksgiving with my sisters, their families, and us. M flew home for the holiday (her first time traveling on her own). 

December I made the trip out to move M out of her dorm and bring her home, taking J with me. We drove home in a horrible snowstorm, and I learned how to put on chains. I also had a full blown anxiety attack and the highest blood pressure in a long time. Vowed never to drive in the snow again. But at least we had the whole family home for Christmas, which was nice. Celebrated my 45th birthday too. 

That about wraps it up! I don't even want to speculate about what 2021 will bring-- but I do hope it brings a break from the constant big changes!! Happy New Year!

Comments

LaNita Pete said…
Wow, you never disappoint! So very interesting! I really love keeping up with your family! And I dearly love that guy you're married to! Great pic below! For Christmas, all my grand-kids went in together and bought me a membership to StoryWorth. I'd never heard of it, but they want me to write my bio so badly and now it will happen. They sent me a question each week and in 52 weeks we'll have a book. They do all the work after I initially do all the work! ha ha The first question was "What was your dad like growing up?" It took me hours to get it right before I sent it off to them. I'm always wishing I had some of your skills. Well, thanks for making my day! Hope 2021 us better for all of us! What a TEST??? Love you, girl! Thanks for sharing your life with me! Hugs, Pete

Popular Posts