Overwhelmed

I'm going a little crazy today. It's those darn contractions. They won't let me get anything done. We have a serious laundry backup problem, and I got some of it started yesterday but not much accomplished on my own (Terence folded some & that helped). Today I planned to at least get a few loads folded and put away-- seeing as I have piano lessons this afternoon and my living room is a disaster filled with baskets of dirty clothes, piles of folded clean laundry, and various crap of the kids on the floor. Something has to be done. But literally every time I get up today I have a contraction.

Mentally I'm going a little crazy. How can I have contractions every time I stand up? It feels sometimes like they never stop, so maybe my belly is just uncomfortably tight all the time today & I only notice it when I'm on my feet? Or I'm causing them just by stressing about it? Or they are Braxton-Hicks that normal pregnant moms don't notice because their body hasn't been stretched out by five pregnancies? Or are the contractions caused by the fibroids I have (as my OB has speculated) and my uterus is just irritable but no dilating will take place?

I'm so tired of feeling guilty because my house is a disaster. I feel guilty when I watch Terence frantically trying to get a load of dishes done and fold laundry and feed the kids. I feel guilty when my sister comes to clean my house because everything is so awful that it takes her hours to get just the bare minimum done. I feel utterly embarrassed because every time a piano student has come for a lesson during the last couple of months there has been laundry on one of the couches in my living room. (As if the kids I teach are judging me! Still, I'm mortified that I don't have a spotless room when they come over. It's even worse when the moms come inside.)

Yet, I can't argue with how uncomfortable I feel when I get up and try to do something about it. Imaginary or not, it DOES feel like I am having contractions. Maybe they seem worse to me than they really are-- I have a notoriously low pain threshold. So when I stand there and grimace, one hand on my stomach, waiting for the tightness to pass, my husband goes ballistic. Then I feel guilty because I'm trying to do something-- or because I'm not drinking enough water.

To add to my mental distress, I'm feeling very overwhelmed at the moment. It was easier when the kids were out of school. School brings the stress of homework and projects and book reports. Working with B on this kind of stuff has never been easy, and every time we try to work on her homework, she gets stubborn and whiny and I lose my temper. I still have my two callings at church, and for whatever reason, I'm finding them harder and harder to handle. M has activity days & her Faith in God award to be working on. J is starting Cub Scouts this month and needs a uniform & all the trappings (and Scouts is just intimidating to me all the way around). He also needs to start working on his Faith in God award. Just little things like visiting teaching, which should be no problem at all since my companion does all the work on this, add to what is beginning to feel like a burden that is too heavy to bear. Most of all, I feel a looming anxiety over the fact that I do not have a space ready for this baby (nor even basics like baby clothes) and I know I can't really do anything about it right now, either.

And I feel guilty about feeling overburdened because nothing about this should be all that strenuous or worrisome.

Underneath all this, I have this horrible fear that I will go all the way to 40 weeks or beyond, with not a hint of all these contractions doing anything. And then I will have inconvenienced everyone around me for nothing. Just Heidi being crazy, thinking things are difficult with the pregnancy and demanding help that she doesn't really need.

It's exhausting, this mental confusion. I'm trying to tell myself that if I can just survive the next ten weeks, everything will be OK. Then I will be 36 weeks-- I can go ahead and tackle my house and let the contractions come if they will. But I wonder if that will really help me stop feeling overwhelmed. . . .

Comments

kristi said…
What do you need me to do? I can come over tomorrow and throw your clothes in and out of the laundry and bring them to you to fold.

Visit teaching I can go by myself if it's too much, I know them both well enough I feel comfortable.

About the room... did you get the wallpaper stripped yet? What if I get a few people together and we come do it. You can sit on the chair and chat with us.

It's all manageable with help :). And I'll probably need you right back when the twins come and I'm wondering how any mom handles so many babies close in age - I know you will be there to reassure me! :)

So can I help?
Stefanie said…
When can I come over and help? I'm sorry that you're struggling. Pregnancy is super hard and you're an amazing mom and friend. Hang in there.
Ashlie Dalton said…
i'm so sorry heidi! but honestly, you need to sit down, relax, and let people help you. i'm sure everyone would rather you be safe than sorry and let them help out. worrying and stressing out isn't going to help your contractions, and there's nothing worrying will do for you. i know it's all easier said than done but try! i hope your contractions stop soon so you can kind of go about a normal day. wish i lived closer to help out. sorry you are going through this.
Anonymous said…
Dang it, Heidi, you need a live-in nanny right now. Wish I was available. I'd just handle all that stuff for you and have those kids purring. How I lie!! Maybe 20 years ago. ha ha I WOULD have the kids purring. That's my favorite. But I'm not that great at all the cleaning any more. I'm very slow at it. But I would sure take over the kids, homework, projects, etc. and have a blast....and so would they. I love doing that. I hope you get lots of help, as you surely need it. Bless your sis and others who are helping now. you deserve it all.
Lissy said…
You are being much to hard on yourself! Don't worry about what other people think and do what you feel is best, and what makes you feel best. Clean laundry on the couch is better than dirty laundry hidden away :) I'm sure no one thinks any less of you for it. I hope you take up the offers for help, I would be there with them if I could! Praying for you!
Kaycee said…
Those are real worries and I would be stressed and overwhelmed too. But I'm sure every one completely understands and no one is judging. Your too hard on your self.
Could your doctor check and see if you are dialating or hook you up to a monitor and see if they are serious contractions? Maybe take meds that stop them.
But let people help you.
Abby said…
Holy crap, your second-to-last paragraph is exactly what I said during my last pregnancy, too! I remember feeling guilty for asking all my friends to babysit PW every day of the week so I could relax and bring my BP down, and I made it to 38 weeks before I had to be induced. I felt so bad that I hadn't had a worse pregnancy to justify all the time and effort these people had put into taking care of me. But I'll remind you what I had to remind myself: my pregnancy went as well as it did for as long as it did BECAUSE they helped me. Accepting the help your friends and family offer will make for as good a pregnancy as possible. So take it without the guilt. Everyone's goal is the same in this: a happy, healthy baby and mom at the end. Whatever it takes, heidi. Whatever it takes.

Also, has your RS Pres spoken on your behalf to the bishop about giving you a break from your callings for the next few months? I was worried enough about my health with the last one that the bishop released me from one of mine and helped make arrangements for a sub (his wife) for the other one. Look into it.

Popular Posts