Summer Structure

I need a game plan, stat!!

Yesterday was a clear sign that our summer situation is dire.  When I was a kid, summer was a long lazy period of watching game shows and soap operas, eating Top Ramen and Doritos, playing video games and swimming at the local pool.  I pretty much did whatever I wanted, and it was such a nice, endless break that I was actually enthusiastic about going back to school.  I kind of figured we could treat summer like that with our kids.  They need a break from structure, right?

No.  Not if I actually want to keep my sanity.  I forget that most of those do-whatever-I-wanted summer days both my parents were working, and they didn't have to suffer through the sibling squabbles and the house getting trashed.  (OK, they did have to deal with the aftermath when they got home, but at least sometimes we tried to fix the worst of the damage before our parents found out.)

I have some thoughts along the lines of additional chores, a reading program, and teaching my kids to cook.  Most of my options have to be indoors, since it's so blazing hot outside.  Going to the pool is an option, but not every day.  Too much heat on S, and it wipes me out for the day.  Does anybody have any ideas?

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
Ugh, I wish I had ideas for you. I feel so lazy all the time lately and I don't want to even put in the effort of making sure Cole does his daily chore. My kids have been trapped in the house for 2 days and are bored out of their minds but I can't seem to get myself to function properly. I guess that's the difference between having 2 and having 5 though... one day I will have to find something for them to do. Good luck! Share your ideas if you get any.

Popular Posts