Just Catching Up

It's actually cool enough outside to feel comfortable!

Amazing!

I know it's temporary.  We're not even halfway through September yet, which means we still have about another 6 weeks before fall sets in around here (at least according to my definition of fall weather).  But I'm enjoying the momentary break from the stifling heat and humidity.

What have we been up to around here?  Well, mostly it's just been the normal grind.  Homework and piano and primary and scouts and chores and unexpected minor disasters (like a flooded laundry room- again).  We made it through B's birthday stretch and are now about to enter M's.  (It always seems like birthdays last several weeks.  We have a small immediate family party, a birthday dinner with cousins at Grandma's, usually some birthday related something at church (like M moving up to Mia Maids), and maybe something extra tacked on at the end (like B taking a trip up to the American Girl store with Grandma for "afternoon tea").  Anyway, with all that it seems like birthdays take awhile.

I can't believe my oldest child is going to be 14 in just a few days.  I can't possibly be old enough to have a 14 year old, right?  Though I have friends my age who have kids graduating from high school this year, so I guess yes, I am old enough.  This stuff with my kids getting so big keeps throwing me. J is in the middle of some kind of never ending growth spurt.  I realized last Sunday that we are pretty much the same height, and we had to buy him new size 9 shoes (that's after having bought him size 7's only 2 months ago).  Not to mention that J and M have teenage-sized appetites now too!  (J is capable of stuffing down an entire 13x9 chicken pot pie casserole by himself.  I'm a little nervous about what he's going to be eating in a couple of years.  Will we be able to afford it???)

I'm still enjoying my life free from facebook.  I haven't gone back, though I probably will be creating a facebook page when I get my books ready for kindle (the goal is January, February, and April releases, if I can keep to my schedule).  Still, I can't tell you how much time it's freed up, and how much less mental clutter I have to deal with now that I don't have to wade through all the drama, sales pitches, arguments, and guilt trips on a daily (or hourly basis).  I miss knowing what's going on in the lives of my friends and family, but without a way to truly take control of my news feed the way I want, this is just the way it's going to have to be-- for my own sanity.

Now I'm off to pick up the kids and then I have four piano lessons, homework, and the bedtime grind to go.  On with my day!


Comments

Popular Posts