January is Almost Over???

I'm still alive.

I know, I'm not sure I've ever had a break from blogging quite this long.  I didn't mean it to be four weeks!  In fact, I didn't mean to take a break at all, especially since I'm no longer posting on Facebook.  However, this month has been a nonstop dash from one thing to the next.

Exhausting.

But Heidi, you say, that's nothing new.  You're always busy and stressed and running from one thing to the next . . . a very valid point.  Back when Terence was in the police academy, he was often given memos to write as a disciplinary action. (The academy is full of these "consequences" for failure to do something perfectly, and his advisors knew he hated to write.  So while some guys had to do pushups-- Terence wouldn't have minded that-- they assigned him memos.)  Anyway, each of his memos had to detail what he had done wrong and why it was wrong.  Then each one had to end with "I have no excuse."  Officers are not supposed to whine and make excuses when they mess up.

Likewise, I have no excuse either.

So to make up for it, let me give you a little taste of what my month has included.
  • Cleaning up and putting away all the Christmas decor.
  • The new Primary year (Kids move into new classes and the teachers get new materials, it's an organizational crazy time.  It was easier this year though since I have more experience and half as many kids as last year.)
  • K's 7th birthday.  (Already!!)
  • Speaking in Sacrament Meeting in church (this included Terence, M, & J also, and all three needed help in various degrees)
  • The start of science fair project madness (4 kids in school means 4 projects, ugh)
  • Running the San Tan Scramble Race (17k on trails)
  • Heading out to CA with my mom & sisters for a girls' trip to Disneyland.  (This was awesome, not stressful at all, but prepping for a trip and recovering on the back end had their moments.)
  • A hectically busy weekend for Primary (we were responsible for building cleaning yesterday, hosting a Priesthood Preview earlier today, and a Great to be Eight tonight)
  • Serious marathon training sessions (this is the month of brutal runs, yesterday was 18 miles)
By far, the highlight was Disneyland.  I used to go all the time as a kid, and the last time I went was four and a half years ago.  I was pregnant and had a toddler and didn't get to go on anything fun!!  This trip we left on a Thursday afternoon, and I spent Friday and Saturday park hopping between Disneyland and California Adventure.  Pure fun!!!!  (Well, except for the part where motion sickness attacked on California Screamin'.  I couldn't fully shake it off the rest of the night.  Even Thunder Mountain made me feel like puking after that.  Stupid motion sickness.  It just gets worse as I get older!)

My favorite ride, hands down, was Tower of Terror in California Adventure.  I've always loved rides with drops.  That stomach swooping away feeling never leaves me sick, just my blood racing with adrenaline.  I got to go on it three times, it was fabulous!  The other lovely part was eating the Ghiradelli sundaes at the soda fountain.  Yummy!!!!

My mom, Camie, and I on Splash Mountain.  I'm not so good at the selfies :)

Sunday I was sick, sick, sick though.  I made it through Sacrament Meeting at one of the Anaheim wards but a level 10 headache set in so I went back to the hotel room after that and slept or read most of the day.  But the best part was that is was quiet and peaceful and I didn't have anything to do so I really could rest when I was feeling so terrible.  A great blessing!

Now I'm struggling to get back into the groove of things.  It's time to tackle the taxes, my house is in serious need of some TLC, I have editing and writing that needs to be done, and it's time to gird up my loins and prepare for the Renaissance Festival stretch, where I will pretty much tackle Sundays on my own with the kids. (This is not as hard as it used to be, since the kids are older, but still, I'm looking at the first Sunday in February and dreading it already.  J will need to dropped off to collect fast offerings, I have ward council, and I'll need to tackle the girls' hair for church, and somehow get all of us there on time.  It will be fun, I'm sure.)

February is also the marathon.  I'm slightly more confident now that I know I can survive 18 miles, but still . . .  I have a feeling it's going to get harder and harder to sleep the closer I get!  What was I thinking??!!

Comments

Popular Posts