Manic May

Just a check in from the land of last month of school insanity.  You know: projects, events, parties, a gazillion places to be and things to keep straight in my head.  May's bad that way (second only to December, which has both Christmas and end of quarter insanity mixed together).  This year is kind of a bittersweet one.  M's eighth grade graduation is scheduled on my calendar, and this is the last year I will have all my kids at the same school.

How is it that they grow up so quickly and so slowly at the same time????

M is definitely a young woman now, and as M would rather die than do anything too "girly," she does not giggle or obsess over cute pop stars or actors.  But she is still a teenager, and she is an obsessive fangirl-- of the Legend of Zelda franchise.  I'm not kidding.  She lives in this world as much as possible (with a few other forays into Marvel or Transformers cartoons or such).  In ten years she will either be laughing at herself (making her mom and sister play an ocarina for her science fair project, for heaven's sake) or she will be making us all attend a Zelda-themed wedding reception, where she'll wear a sword and a tunic and carry a shield.  Right now my money's on the cosplay reception!

J will be a teenager is less than two months.  My impish, quirky little wanderer has grown into an often serious, tall, but still quirky wanderer.  We had his IEP reevaluation in April, and at the meeting his teachers asked about his current obsession with turkeys.  He draws them ALL them them--even on his letters to his grandmas-- and randomly shouts out, "Turkey!" in class.  Turkeys!  What???

B is growing up too-- she's almost as tall as M (within an inch now) and we had to get her bras to wear.  (Here we go, another foray into puberty.  Yippee.)  She's still sensitive and high-strung and a worrier, and I worry about depression with her.  But on the other hand, she is truly the sweetest girl, one who cares about people a great deal.  Definitely still the light in our family.

K.  K is all boy.  Rough and tumble.  He's far more social than J and M, and far less sensitive than B.  It will be interesting to see where this goes.  Right now he is my thorn when it comes to school, but I'm hoping for better things in second grade.  Please, let the homework battle lessen in second grade!!!!!

S, aka Princess Boing Boing.  (Her words.)  Still loves the girly stuff.  Sings all the time, especially in the car.  Bosses everyone in the family, from Daddy on down to K.  (Though she doesn't often dare boss Daddy.)  My little backseat driver and daily joy and companion.  I have one more year at home with her before sending her off to school and I'm going to treasure every moment!!!

Well, my brief window is up and I'm off to pick up the kids, run up to the valley for M's piano, and then race back down for scouts and mutual.  Here goes!  May, I got this!

Comments

Popular Posts