Wait, August is Over?

I probably shouldn't be blogging right now, but I felt like I just couldn't let the whole month of August pass with only one post.  As you can probably tell, my life has been cranking along nonstop.  We've had another change-- we're no longer carpooling for the high school driving so now I leave earlier so we can drop M off before swinging around to drop off the other kids at their school. Then in the afternoon S and I head out to pick up M at 1:30 and then spend about an hour in the local library so we don't have to drive all the way home before going to pick up the other kids.  It's saving us gas (even with both dropping off and picking up at the high school) but it eats up more of my day.  Well, not a ton of my day, I guess.  But it sure feels like it.  My free window of "computer" time-- where I can write, if other appointments or chores are not in the way-- is from about 10:00 am to noon.  Since I've been working like a madwoman on novel #4, any writing time usually goes to that.  Of course, once I get home from all the school driving the real madness begins.  Homework with four kids is just killing me.  It's no harder than last year, really (which I'm extremely grateful for) but it's not easy.  Especially with activities two of the evenings and piano lessons on two others.  Whew.  I live for Saturdays.  Of course, Terence isn't ever off on Saturdays though. . . .

Hmm, what else is new in our corner of life?  Well, J's school schedule changed today because they moved him up to Honors English.  Yes, the boy with an IEP that included writing resource instruction two years ago is now in honors.  It's amazing and awesome.  I met with J's teachers last week and they all raved about him.  Other than sometimes getting too enthusiastic and shouting out answers, he's doing well, staying on task, and keeping up with his work with no problems.  No wandering at all this year, so switching classes every period must help with his need to move.  They still have him in social skills classes and his SpEd advisor is in frequent contact with me, making sure that this year goes as well as possible for him.  I've been so blessed in this situation.  Having a special needs child in school can be a minefield, and getting what your kid needs can be a battle sometimes . . . but we've had such a great experience at this charter.  They really have been the perfect fit for my son; I really feel like we've had a team that has helped him achieve his potential.  I'm sure it is part of the reason I felt inspired that this was the school for our family.  It's been worth all the sacrifices we've made to keep going there.  (Hopefully, our high school experience is similar.  I felt just as confident about this school, and so far so good, even though more sacrifices on our plate to manage it.)

It's almost time for me to kick up the running schedule.  I've been taking it easy all summer, running an hour for my "long run."  It's just too hot, and I learned last summer that pushing my limits in this heat meant that I paid for it by feeling sick for most of the rest of the day.  Now I get up long before the sun, get my hour finished just as the sun is coming up, and I'm still drenched in sweat.  The cooler mornings are already making an appearance though (do you know how nice it it to walk outside and only have it been high 70's???) so I will start lengthening out the distance again.  The plan is to run the 17k trail race the first week of January and then a half marathon the end of February.  Can't give up the running!  It is still my sanity saver.

Well, this is only a short check in-- I will try to make it more often that once every three weeks!  Time to read scriptures with the kids and get off the computer before tonight's monsoon storm arrives...Farewell, August!  I can't wait for fall!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome writing, of course! I love reading what's going on in your life! Getting to know each of you! Thanks for giving me a peek! Hugs!

Popular Posts