Breath of the Wild

I've been MIA from the blog for a little bit-- not that I'm posting at 2009 levels or anything in the first place, but I do try to update about once a week.  Right now, I've been busy working hard on novel #5 and that has been taking up most of my free time.

And, well, I cannot lie . . . I treated myself to a copy of the newest Legend of Zelda game.


Best. Game. Ever.

I've been a Zelda fan since I was 11 and got hold of the first Legend of Zelda game for the original Nintendo game console.  (I picked it out simply because it was gold.  I knew nothing about it at all.  Learned it was awesome!)  I didn't follow it diligently over the years (mostly because I spent almost no time playing video games of any kind) until Terence gifted me a GameCube and some newer Zelda games one year.  I ended up re-addicted and passed that addiction on to several of my children.  (If you're friends with me on Facebook you may have noticed that we have often had at least one Link-- often two-- for Halloween for several years running.)

This game was very highly, very impatiently, awaited in my home.  And Nintendo delayed it for TWO FREAKING YEARS.

There was drama.  I'm pleased to say it wasn't mine.  But still.

But the game was worth it.  Hands down the best Zelda game-- even better than Twilight Princess, which was my previous favorite Zelda title.  And the world is so vast, and there is so much that you can do that it pretty much sucked my life away.  The good thing was that I could get 90 minutes on the bike trainer in my living room and play Breath of the Wild at the same time.  Exercise never went so fast!


One of the new and novel parts of this game involved cooking.  I spent a lot of time with my Link like the one in this picture, having thrown a bunch of ingredients in a giant outdoor wok and hoping for the cheery music that would let me know my experiment had been a success.  (It wasn't always.  I ended up with a lot of "Dubious Food."  Yep, that's what it is actually called.  It looks like a very unappetizing goop, though Link can eat it for a tiny smidge of life if you're desperate.)

Anyway, if you happen to have a WiiU (or by some miracle you were lucky enough to land a Switch) and you'd like to experience a pretty awesome plunge into a fantasy/adventure/puzzle video game, check it out!

Comments

Popular Posts