Settled In

Well, I feel like I might get to breathe this weekend.  Thank goodness for three day weekends!  Plus, we have reached September, and somehow September just makes me feel slightly more relaxed.  Maybe it's because I can dream of fall coming.  (OK, no that's not it.  We are still a long, long way from fall here in the desert.)  Actually, I think it is because we have now been in the school year long enough to have a sort of routine.  Back to school always throws me for awhile, and this year was a hard adjustment.

I've finally stopping panicking every morning when M leaves to drive herself to school.  I just put it out of my mind, and there's something about the fact that she has successfully survived several weeks without mishap that at least allows me to pretend that she's safe enough driving.  But lest my blood pressure drop too low from the lack of teen driver stress, I have been spending more time with J behind the wheel.  That's the antidote to low blood pressure right there.  His driving style is so different from M's that I have no way to guess when I might feel better about it either.  M never got distracted.  Ever.  She had such a death grip on the steering wheel that her knuckles were always white.  We're getting to the point where J is comfortable enough behind the wheel that his eyes and attention does sometimes wander.  Oh geez.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my wandering boy would have some of the same challenges as a driver.

B had a birthday in August-- she just keeps growing by leaps and bounds, both height and maturity and everything else.  She is growing into a fantastic babysitter.  (If you are local and you need a sitter...)  She is also a huge fan of all things Spiderman, so for a belated birthday present I took her to see Spiderman: Far from Home on Friday.  Oh, the excitement!!!!  I am learning more about Spiderman than I ever thought I would.  (Kind of like I have learned more about Sonic the Hedgehog than I ever thought possible because of M.)

Parent-teacher conferences for the younger three also happened, and there were no huge surprises.  The fun thing about coming into the school is that we have now had at least one child attending there since 2007.  They know us so well.  (When B's social studies teacher met with me, she opened with, "You guys just make smart kids.") I get multiple questions about how M & J are doing, and where they are going to high school.  The only negative feedback at conference was not a surprise.  K apparently falls asleep--every day-- sitting straight up in his chair.  No surprise.  Around here the kids are still night owls and I still can't get them to go to bed.  Eh.  And as for S, her teacher said she sometimes is a chatterbox.  Well, not sometimes.  Most of the time.  But anyone who knows S-- she does have a lot to say, and she is super friendly.  So there you go.  A lot of chatter.  I got TWO social kids out of five.  Who would have guessed?

Now we are headed full swing into the college application process for M.  Fun stuff, right????  My nefarious plan to force M to grow up whether or not she wants to is in the works!  (But why, oh why, does just applying to college cost so much?)

Comments

Popular Posts