M.I.A.

I've really, truly slacked off on the blogging, haven't I?  First time I've posted since September 1st.  Though considering how many people let their blogs die long ago, I'm still kind of a dinosaur.  But since this is my only version of an author website (yeah, I'm not going to pay for my own domain name and whatnot on the trickle of income I get as an author) I don't want to let it die completely.

So where have I been?

Taking a major hiatus from social media, that's where I've been.

I check in on Facebook, but not terribly often.  And that's pretty much been it.  Let me tell you, it's been awesome.  I am one of those people who just felt like an ever-increasing load was pressing down on my shoulders, a set of mental expectations that I needed to interact if I was going to "be there" for people that grew too heavy to bear.

Something had to give.  Unfortunately, as I get older, my anxiety seems to be getting worse.  There is a clear cyclical pattern to it-- it is definitely linked to my hormonal cycle.  But as I draw closer to the dreaded menopausal years (though please, let it be at least another ten years away!) that cycle has been going more screwy, and my anxiety along with it.  So, in order to cope with the anxiety, some of those unreasonable expectations in my head have to go.

So if I'm friends with you on Facebook, and I don't wish you a happy birthday or post my condolences when you experience a tragedy or "like" your cute family pictures, it's not that I don't care about you any more.  It's that I'm cutting out the extra noise in my life, and I'm probably not even aware of what's going on.  For those I am personally in contact with, please!!!!  You can still ask me for help or share your joys and your sorrows with me!  I do still want to know, and I'm actually pretty active with texting and Messenger. (Just don't send me a chain message, it will die the death.  And please, please, don't add me to a group text.  My cell service is weird and I get all fifty messages from the group at once, usually at 3 am or some other unholy hour.  Messenger works better for me, it is more consistent.)

As for the family update, things have been normal crazy around here.  (Is it ever anything else?)  We had fall break but everyone was on slightly different schedules so that made it a bit of a headache rather than a straight up vacation.  Terence has been working crazy hours (I don't know if he got off on time once in the last two weeks), and we are back into the insanity of homework and projects.  B had the stomach flu (yay) but it was short and not too bad (kind of like my bout with it last month).  On the good side of stuff-- I'm almost finished with the rough draft of a new book, M got her first college acceptance (BYU-Idaho), and S turns 8 and gets baptized in just a couple of weeks!  Is it possible my oldest baby and my youngest baby are so old???

I'm taking a deep breath now, because November promises to be truly crazy-- but here's hoping that I keep the anxiety under control, the depression at bay, and I manage not to drop any balls!  (Or at least not any important ones, right??)

Comments

Popular Posts