Mom Memories

Yesterday my mom asked my sisters and I for some "Mom memories"-- memories about her that stuck out, good or bad.  My sisters shared some fun memories, but I struggled to think of anything.  Yes, I used to have a famously good memory, but I seem to be stuck in brain fog nowadays.  I don't know what to blame it on-- anxiety, depression, poor sleep, too much sugar, getting old, all of the above-- but in any case, I needed a little more time.

Today I've come up with just some random memories that come to mind about my mom, good and bad, but all real:

  • When we lived in San Diego my mom loved to take us around town to enjoy the touristy stuff (on a budget).  She worked full time but on her days off during the summer we would do things like visit Mission Bay and roller skate or ride bikes, go to La Jolla Cove and visit the cave and walk out on the jetty, trips to Felicita and Kit Carson parks in Escondido, and numerous trips to the beach (usually Oceanside Harbor), where Mom would drop us off with all the stuff (there was always a ton) and then go park in the free parking (a loooong way from the sand) and walk back to us.
    Just a random pic of Mission Bay.  I loved it when Mom took us here!
  • I remember her sitting down with Camie and I and teaching us how to make a "car wash" out of duplo blocks for our hot wheels cars.  We had a "town" for our cars as well, that I'm pretty sure she made.  It was drawn with colored markers on some sturdy fabric and included exciting places for us to drive our cars to such as both grandparents' houses, a McDonald's, and even Elitch's (an amusement park in Denver).
  • I remember coloring with my mom in our house in Penasquitos (San Diego).  We were in her room, and she colored one page while I colored the opposite page.  I was probably about six or seven.  I remember how impressed I was at her beautiful coloring and how she always stayed within the lines!
  • My mom was the one who taught me to drive stick.  She took me to a large empty parking lot in San Marcos, and turned over the driver seat in our Isuzu Trooper.  It turned out to be so much harder than I thought it would be, I remember tears of frustration, but I also remember my mom was patient with me.  Eventually, I experience the triumph of getting the Trooper to actually move forward without stalling!
  • My mom made my prom dress.  We poured over patterns at the fabric store, trying to find something that I liked, that my dad would let me out of the house in, and that wasn't beyond my mom's skill level.  It was a beautiful  blue dress, and she did an amazing job.  I did not appreciate at the time the skill it took!
    My friend Stephen and I at prom-- there's the dress my mom made
  • When I was home from college during my freshman year my mom and I got in a huge fight one night.  I can't even remember what it was about (I am sure I was being moody and irrational).  We were driving home, and it was pretty late at night.  Finally, my exasperated mother pulled over and told me to get out-- which I promptly did.  Then, in my petty fury, I stomped off across a field where she couldn't follow and ignored her calls to get back in the car.  I managed to hide from her and eventually she gave up and drove off.  I found a pay phone at the nearby Hollandia Dairy and called my boyfriend, who came and picked me up.  At some point I started to realize that I was behaving ridiculously, and I got nervous about what would happen when I went home.  When my boyfriend dropped me off, I tried to open the door as quietly as possible, hoping to sneak to my room and avoid any lectures.  But my mom must have been waiting with eagle ears-- she was waiting for me in the entry when I opened the door.  She did not lecture though.  Just told me she was glad I was home and let me go off to bed.
  • When I had M, my mom let me literally move in with her for two weeks.  Terence was still working full time and in school, and I had NO idea how to take care of a baby.  She helped me figure out the nightmare of breastfeeding (which did not work, long story), she taught me the basics of bottle feeding, how to burp a baby, and just in general helped me get my feet under me enough that I knew I could keep this tiny helpless infant alive.  I still remember her walking me through giving M her first bath-- M screaming and my mom reassuring me I was doing just fine.  Holy moly, stressful.
    When I finally dared go back to my apartment, Mom came with and put the absolutely necessary baby swing together for me
  • Both times I ended up on bed rest for pregnancy (with B and with K) my mom was a total lifesaver.  She spent countless hours cleaning, cooking, and caring for the other kids.  I would have completely lost my mind if it hadn't been for her help.  And there's a good possibility both babies would have arrived earlier than they did.
I love you, Mom-- thank you for all you taught me.  All the memories-- of small things and big things!  Most of all, I'm grateful for everything you taught me so that I could be the mom I am to my own five.

Happy Mother's Day!


Comments

Becky said…
Your mom is really awesome!! Thanks for sharing those memories

Popular Posts