Dads (and Birthday Boys)

I didn't really acknowledge either my dad or Terence during Father's Day this year-- it was kind of an odd day.  It was J's birthday so that kind of took precedence in my mind.  Also, we'd just arrived home after a nearly two week trip (and you know how chaotic long trips are), and my dad was off in Dubai. Taking all things in account, other than making Terence breakfast, it didn't really feel like Father's Day.

But I'd like to do a post at least acknowledging my dad and my husband, even if it's late.

First, my dad.  My dad will be the first to tell you he is not a perfect dad (though next he'll distract you by telling one of his stories-- he has lots of them).  But my dad has shown me an amazing example of never giving up and always working hard.  Especially these last couple of years, as my dad has battled a rare bone infection that has required surgery after surgery and has ultimately required some drastic, permanent changes in lifestyle for him (soft foods, forever, being one of them), he has never given up.  He has suffered debilitating pain, the challenges of recovery, fears of whether he could still do his job (so much of what he does requires public speaking), and adjusting to the fact that he does not look like he once did. (We have all adjusted to Dad's new face without any issue, but I can only imagine it takes courage for him to meet with people who are not expecting the radical change in his looks.  Let's be honest, we all care about what we look like.  Aging is hard enough without losing much of  your facial bone structure.)  Through it all, my dad has persevered and made it to many of our family events, continuing so many of the traditions that his grandkids (and daughters/sons-in-law) have come to cherish.  His determination and sacrifice inspire me when I'm struggling with my own inner demons.  Love you so much, Dad!!


Second, my husband.  Terence continues to be the glue that holds our family together.  It has not been easy for him.  Work and church responsibilities are heavy enough, but he is also in the throes of parenting three teenagers, one barely-in-her-twenties, and one tween going on thirty.  He gets so much attitude and doesn't give up trying to forge a closer relationship with our kids.  (Well, the one he gets the most attitude with is me, and he never gives up on me either.) He doesn't get to spend as much time with the kids as he likes, but he tries to make the best of what time he does have.  All the kids are certain of his love for them, which is what matters most.  Today is Terence's birthday, so I figured in honor of that I'd post several pictures we picked up during the trip back to Mississippi.  





(After a family vote, we decided K looks most like his dad.  But all the kids got Terence's eyes.)

Happy birthday, Terence!  We all love you so much!!

Comments

Popular Posts