Crack the Door


Did you notice that it's 2023? Did you celebrate with pounding music and fireworks? Or did you curl up in a blanket and pretend it wasn't New Year's Eve last night? I tried to curl up about 11:30-- I was plain exhausted by then-- but my own eleven-year-old went outside and screamed, "Happy New Year!" at the top of her lungs (amid our neighborhood's fireworks fest that sounded like my street was being shelled by invaders) so no, I didn't actually sleep though it.  No music though.  Maybe music would have made it more festive and less like a war zone...

In all honesty, I'm not scared of this New Year.  2021 and 2022 I was still traumatized enough from 2020 that I just whispered, "Hush, it's not a new year, la-la-la, I can't hear you!" This time I'm cautiously looking forward and hoping for some good things this year, so I'll dare to make a list of expectations for the year like I used to do:

  • This year is a big year at church for K and S.  K becomes a teacher and S left Primary for Young Women's. WTH? I don't have any kids in Primary anymore????  That is just too weird.  Maybe I should go back to fingers in my ears and saying la-la-la.  But along with this one, something to look forward to is taking S to the temple for the first time!
  • M starts an internship this week and then she has her last semester of college this spring.  If all goes as planned she will graduate from college in July with a BS in computer science.  Another WTH? I cannot be old enough to be the mother of a college graduate!!
  • This year B will start her senior year and turn 18.  That means I will have three adult children. (Not to be repetitive, but WTH?????)
  • At least as of now, J is planning to put papers in to serve a mission somewhere near the end of the year.  Depends on how much money he gets saved.  I'm excited to see his growth this year-- working has really been good for his social skills!
  • Terence has a crazy upcoming work schedule (a gubernatorial inauguration, the Super Bowl, the LPGA, RenFest, the biker prison run, the Lost Dutchman marathon) so it is back to a pre-covid-like spring event schedule.  The OT will be much appreciated, the time without Terence at home less so.
  • I hope to finish Sheralie #6 and start working on publishing the whole series sometime later this year.  I think. Assuming I actually finish the series arc with this novel.  An ending is near...right, writer muse?  Right????
I hope you have a list of things to look forward as well-- may your 2023 be filled with joy and peace despite whatever speed bumps you face!

Comments

Popular Posts