Gone With the Wind

Another hope dashed. See, I had this crazy dream that just maybe one of my children wouldn't be an over-the-top mess maker. All my hopes were pinned on K to be just a normal, occasionally messy child. But I don't think it's going to come true.

Recently I've been working on rewriting the first of my novels. Since I originally started writing it when I was 19, there were major sections where the writing was on the immature side. If I am ever going to publish it, it needs a major overhaul. Motivated by the serious lack of funds around here, I decided that I might as well get it rewritten now. You never know, maybe I could actually sell a few copies, right?

Anyway, last night I really got on a roll with the writing, and when I'm writing well, I practically live in the world I'm creating. Before I had settled in at the computer, though, I had sent my kids off to get ready for bed and brush their teeth. Eventually, they made their way back into the computer room for scriptures. But since I was kind of oblivious to the world at that point, I think they had about an hour, maybe longer, to do whatever they wanted while I was immersed in recreating Andie's world. Too bad her world didn't include toothpaste bandits, or maybe I would have been a little more prepared.

After we finished the normal bedtime routine and I had gotten the kids into bed, I walked back out into the living room to be confronted by a trail of toothpaste all over the carpet. Oh dear. Today I learned that the culprit was K. (No wonder he smelled all minty fresh when I put him to bed last night.) Judging by the evidence, he must have crawled all around the living room while dragging the toothpaste tube. Apparently every so often he also stopped and squeezed a large glop out onto the carpet. By the time I went to clean it up, it had hardened to a turquoise cement-like substance embedded in my carpet. Fun times for me!

If K is doing this kind of stuff at ten months old, I'm doomed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my, what next? I swear, you have more trials and tribulations with those sweet little bandits of yours. ha ha I guess a mother's work IS never done. Good luck on the novel. Sounds interesting.
Kaycee said…
Oh no! I am sorry! I love reading your posts! they are so interesting. I can't wait to read your novel!

Popular Posts