Dire Straits

It's getting so hard to drag myself out of bed in the morning.  It's strange to remember that a few years back I was getting up at 4 am on a regular basis.  Granted, setting my alarm for 5 am is not exactly sleeping in either, but every morning I hit the snooze button longer (having stayed up a little later the night before).

Last night I fully intended to get to bed as soon as humanly possible.  I was utterly exhausted.  It had been a long couple of days.  (I even dozed off for a second sitting at a red light yesterday, never a good sign.  I spent the rest of the drive home from the zoo having M loudly tell me to stay awake, singing loudly to the radio, and hitting myself in the head with an empty water bottle!)  But "soon as humanly possible" turned out to be after midnight.  (Mostly because of an unexpected amount of homework to deal with.  Can't wait until the quarter ends next week!)

I'm not sure how to fix this problem.  It's not like I have a baby who's not sleeping through the night and I just need to tough it out for a few more months.  It's not that I'm staying up after the kids go to bed to have some "me time."  (There's usually at least one of the kids still up the whole time I am.)  And it's never a good thing because as I tell my kids, Mommy turns into a pumpkin after 9 pm.  Really my emotional state deteriorates starting about 7 or so.  But I start to get completely irrational, impatient, depressed and sometimes hysterical right about the 9 pm point.  Some of it is scheduling.  Activities that go until 6:30 or 7 by default mean that the kids' bedtime will not be until 9, unless a miracle happens.  But I can't change that too much either.

Sleep is precious.  I need more.  I'm downright greedy for more!  And I don't want to be witchy mom every night.

What to do????

Comments

Jean said…
Leave the kids with Grandma overnight during spring break and SLEEP!

Popular Posts