Just the Flu

I can't remember how many times I've said this over the last week, usually when someone asks what our family has.  (I posted on facebook about being sick, plus I completely had to bail on some responsibilities earlier this week, so pretty much everybody around knows that illness swooped in and took over this house.)

"Oh, it's just the flu."

Yep.  Only the flu.  No big deal.  We'll be over it quickly, nothing different than every other winter when the family gets sick in one way or another.

Well, I'm learning what the big deal is.  Why people actually make an effort to go get those flu shots.  Influenza-- unlike the stomach "flu" which is not actually a flu-- lasts.  Yes, you get better but you don't get your strength back.  The fatigue goes on and on and on.  (J, the first one in our family to get it, originally came down with it several weeks ago.  And he is still napping every day while still going to sleep on time at night.)  Plus, those couple of days when it first hits are a nightmare.  Fever, body aches that make you feel like you've been in a cage match, a headache that meds can't touch, and exhaustion so bad you can't get out of bed.  A cough that makes your head scream even worse (and in my case, pee).

Next year, flu shots all around.

It's interesting because going through this now with the family (five down, two to go), I realized that I don't think we've had the flu in years.  Every winter we go through a succession of colds, but never influenza.

What a great blessing that was!  We have been spared this over and over and never even had any idea.

What other health challenges have we been spared that I've never appreciated before?  I'm sure there are many, many things that we've never had to fight that don't even cross my radar screen.  I feel so grateful right now.

Still, I can't wait to feel full strength again.  I'm ready to be able to exercise again.  Ready to juggle my full schedule again.  Ready to tackle it all full steam!

Judging by my boys, I've still got a couple weeks to go.

Comments

Stefanie said…
I was talking to a neighbor who's a nurse last week. She mentioned how common it is for healthy people to get really sick and be in the hospital with the flu. Its really scary.
Lissy said…
Hope you are all feeling better! I've been sick for weeks and am just barely having energy (though not as much as I WANT) again! It's too hard to be a mom and be sick, it's crazy how many things that you think can't wait can slide when you just REALLY can't handle them. Can't wait to be completely over it!!
brooke said…
i'm not sure that i'm happy to have read your post. the flu just hit our home a few days ago. all three kids are down for the count! boo. i have a feeling that it's only a matter of time before i get it.
Kaycee said…
The Real flu is awful! I am totally about the flu shot.

Popular Posts