Finding My Groove


So the best part about the last couple of weeks has been life without a big honking boot on my foot.  I've been taking advantage of that fantastic fact, as well as the best part of life in Phoenix-- perfect winter weather.

Christmas break family hike

It's so nice to be outside again.

We are a hiking family, which is one of those things I never would have predicted about myself twenty years ago.  Not a hike 50 miles, sleep in a tent, and eat dehydrated food kind of a family; instead, we are a hike for a couple of hours on a well-marked trail kind of family.  It's one of those things that my kids groan and moan about (the older two mostly), but I think they will remember quite fondly when they get older.

I've also gotten to run again.  Nothing too long or too frequent, but last week I managed probably my most enjoyable 3 mile run ever.  My foot was still sore but I spent the whole run singing with joy that I was running again.  I think it's the first time ever I've run while the mantra "I love to run, I love to run" repeated in my head.

Odd.  But nice.

Yesterday I ran in a 9k trail race with Terence and my sister Amy.  I had signed up long ago (for the 26k distance) but up until just a week ago I wasn't sure I was going to be able to try even the shortest distance at the race.  But I did it and to my surprise it went better than I hoped.  My ankle held up, and my lungs weren't even really challenged.  If my foot had been stronger, I think I could have gone longer.  (Patience, Heidi, it will come. . . .)

Terence and I after we finished the race
Thank goodness for the chance to get out and get some exercise again!!  I've got a couple of challenging weeks (months?) coming up for me-- there will be a lot of changes and I'm not good with change.  (Shoot, just looking at used cars for sale online with Terence last night nearly sent me into an anxiety attack.  Once upon a time I used to get excited about the prospect of a new car.)  I'm going to try and keep outside as much as possible and drive those January blues far away.  Here we go!!

Comments

Popular Posts