Random Thoughts Edition

I actually wrote a full long post last night but I've decided not to share it.  (It was too personal and too likely to upset some people close to me.  I finished it, read through it again before posting, and realized that I really didn't want to go there.  Probably I'll print it and put it in my journal instead.)  So rather than bare my soul in all its messiness, I thought I'd throw out some random stuff from my life lately.

  • Sometimes the promo work for a movie does the complete opposite.  I actually had a mild interest in seeing Black or White, but after listening to a morning show host harp on how IMPORTANT this movie is because it deals with *gasp* racism, I now have zero inclination to watch it.  So tired of being preached at.
  • Have I mentioned before that having a conversation with M can be tricky?  Trying to get her to open up and share what is going on in her mind is like prying a can open with your fingernails?  Well, I've found the can opener, ladies and gentleman.  If you want to hear M talk and talk and talk, just ask her a question or two about The Legend of Zelda video game franchise.  I guarantee you will be astonished at the waterfall information of thoughts and opinions that flow out of her mouth!
  • S is three weeks into wearing underwear all day.  Hallelujah!  We still have an occasional accident (and I'm not even dreaming yet of nighttime dryness) but after 13 YEARS straight I am done buying diapers!!!
  • Related to the children & bladder control issue, Terence found a great solution to dealing with mattresses that have gotten unbearably smelly through accidents.  (Dilute some vinegar with water in a spray bottle and spray the surface until the urine areas are thoroughly wet.  Sprinkle a lot of baking soda over the top, covering everywhere that's wet.  Let it sit for several hours, and then vacuum up.)  It's been a lifesaver in this house.  Or a nose-saver, really.  The only problem is that we can't afford (either with money or time) to do it every time we have an accident that manages to soak through the waterproof mattress covers around here.  *sigh*  The joys of parenthood.
  • So far so good on easing back into running.  Running once a week seems to be OK.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to manage more than that, but I'll take it.  This Saturday I'm shooting for 7 miles.  Hoping to be able to do the half marathon the end of February.  I can do this!!
  • As for the ward change at church . . . I can't do this.  This is too hard and my anxiety level is killing me.  But I have a whole lot of kids depending on me, and I'm not alone, so I'll have to muddle through somehow.  I hope everyone cuts me a lot of slack.
  • My New Year's Resolutions are not going so well.  I've been meaning to report, but well, the reports would almost all be negative.  The only thing I've seen any improvement in is my prayers.  Possibly because I'm feeling so overwhelmed and anxious.
  • Terence and I are getting to spend so much more time together-- it's great!  Really, having a child old enough to babysit means all kinds of freedom to steal snippets of time together, even if it's just going grocery shopping together without kids.  Blissful.  I feel closer to my husband now than I ever have in nearly 15 years of marriage.  It feels like we're just hitting our stride: we know each other so much better, we have some time just to focus on us and we use it, we can communicate about physical intimacy and meet each other's needs so much more, and we're best friends who've been through enough rough spots already to not take a speed bump too seriously.
Well, I'm out of time-- got to go grab K out of the bathtub, drag B up (I bet she's fallen back asleep on the closet floor), wake J up for the sixth time and cajole him into eating some breakfast, order M to end her 45 minute shower, and convince S that she really wants to get up and put some clothes on.  Just a regular, normal day!

Comments

Popular Posts