Common Sense Shortage

Are you picky about how something gets done? Even if you are a generally laid back person, I bet there is something you are anal about. Do you like your dishwasher loaded a certain way? Do you absolutely have to have stripes in your carpet from your vacuum (so you know it's clean)? Do you insist on all your canned food in order and lined up just right like that freaky dude from Sleeping with the Enemy?

I have a few of those nitpicky things that I want done just right. For example, I'm very particular about how the laundry is sorted and what clothes get washed together. Just separating out two piles-- one for colors and one for whites-- is not good enough. Some people may call me crazy, but yes, in my house laundry is separated into seven different categories. Just one of my little quirks.

Well, another one of my little picky obsessions is how my groceries are bagged. It's a remnant from my days long ago as a "courtesy clerk" (which is just a fancy name for a bagger). When I was being trained they actually made us sit down and watch a video about how you bag the cold stuff together, the cleaning supplies separately, don't bag all the glass bottles together-- you know, pretty straightforward, common sense stuff. I like to think I was pretty good at keeping things where they should be, even with random stuff flying down the conveyor in huge masses. (A few unusually opinionated old people would disagree with that though-- one guy yelled at me for putting his pastries on top of his eggs. Apparently, he thought it was better that his eggs squish his pastries. Ah well, can't get it all right!) During this time I developed an obsession for having my own groceries bagged appropriately.

Of course, most of my grocery shopping is done at Walmart nowadays, and Walmart has no baggers. I'm not so unreasonable as to expect the cashier to somehow manage to sort through random grocery craziness while ringing up my order, so I always line up my stuff on the conveyor belt to make it easy. Heavy stuff first, cold stuff together, cleaning or household goods separate, produce at the back, and my fragile stuff like chips or bread at the very, very end. I figure even if the cashier is lacking in common sense, the right stuff should still end up mostly together anyway.

So how is it that nearly every week I come home with my popsicles mixed in with macaroni and apples? Or my laundry detergent with my soy milk? Or four jars together with the frozen peas lying on top? Seriously, I have seen the cashier reach across my neatly ordered lineup to grab something utterly unrelated to scan and drop in the bag.

I know I'm insanely picky about this, but for pete's sake, people!!! If you just scan the stuff in the order it comes, we'll all be happier! Sheesh!

(I feel better now that I've got this off my chest. Now I can survive the next ten years of finding my eggs stashed sideways next to a row of canned beans.)

Comments

Stefanie said…
I spent two years as a "courtesy clerk" in a small town with many old people who liked thing double bagged. We used to put the bread and eggs in nice brown paper sacks. Wal-mart bagging drives me crazy. I usually get home to find one item per bag giving me 50 million bags. I HATE it when my cleaners are in with my produce. Just another reason to hate wal-mart.
kristi said…
Thats so funny Heidi! But does that mean you do 7 loads of laundry a week? I cram as much in a load as possible - ug I hate laundry!
Bagging only bugs me if something - like bread gets squished!
I get crazy if things aren't put away in the house by bedtime. The kids rooms can be messy but I hate getting up in the morning and coming downstairs with stuff in the sink or clutter on the table.
Ashlie Dalton said…
i want to be anal about laundry... i think it keeps your clothes nicer for longer. however, i'm too cheap to do 7 loads of laundry (7 loads of laundry soap- 7 loads of water to add to my water bill). ha! so i separate into two piles... lights and darks and load it up as full as it can go. you would hate me to do your laundry.

on the other hand i'm unfortunately anal about pretty much everything else in my life so i guess slacking in the laundry department won't kill me.

*dito to all the comments made about walmart bagging. gag.
Heidi said…
Well, I guess if I didn't have enough laundry I might be a leeetle less anal. Like only sorting 4 ways. But I do 14-16 loads of laundry a week, so no problem there. And yes, I have a big capacity high efficiency washer even. Insane, I know.
kristi said…
Oh my gosh! 14 to 16 loads a week? JUST SHOOT ME NOW!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
You always bring up interesting items, der-Heid! When I was 14, I begged my mom to let me do the family laundry by myself. I had watched and helped her for years...and we were a family of 10! And I still love laundry to this day, and I'm very fussy about how it's done. I've narrowed mine to two loads a week, as there's only me, and it's white's and darks. But the catch is in the drying. I'm a firm believer in SHAKING each article of clothing vigorously before tossing in the dryer to ensure that there are few wrinkles when done...and I don't dry laundry till it's dry...only a few things. Most, I just dry till it's tumbled for a bit then hang on a hanger or put away to dry completely. P.S. I also love washing dishes by hand, and I'm anal about how the dishwasher is loaded and how the TP hangs. I've changed the TP in many strange toilets before. ha ha. I HATE dusting and vacuuming.
Kaycee said…
Oh my gosh you sound like me!!! I am very anal about a lot of things that have to be just so. I always bag my own groceries for that same reason. I too worked as a "bagger" (longer then I want to admit) But I did win awards for being the best bagger. hahaha! But I am very anal about how things are bagged, about laundry, lines in the carpet, and how I put food away and how clothes are hung up, they all have a order to them.
Kaycee said…
p.s. when Robby loads the dishwasher I have to go back and redo what he did, it has to be a certain way.
I have 5 different piles for clothes. Lights, darks, whites, bedding, and towls. I too have enough laundry to sort like that and have enough clothes to fill it up.
Heidi said…
I have them same piles as you, Kaycee, only I have two for darks (one regular and one that has to go on the delicate cycle, like my nice clothes and Terence's uniforms) and two for whites (one that consists mostly of underwear and stuff, and one that needs to be bleached, like socks and Brie's white sheets). It probably wouldn't be so much if I didn't have a couple of kids wetting the bed still, but when that's over with, I'll still probably have 12-14 loads a week!
Abby said…
I was never a bagger, but I always load things on the conveyor belt exactly as you described just to be nice to the baggers. As for Walmart, I think they're just looking for things that fit well in the bags rather than packing like objects together. Oh well. I think it's gross to have cleaning products in with my food. Might as well throw up right there.

I, like everyone else in the family I came from, is VERY anal about how we load a dishwasher. I always redo what the Husband has done. He tries to change it back, but I change it before it's run. Just about the worst insult my family can say is, "You can't even load a dishwasher!" Bad.

Popular Posts