Is It Spring Yet?

Slogging forward.  We are the midst of a run of influenza through the house.  B last week, and now J.  I'm hoping that it doesn't take us all, but if it does, fingers crossed that it's one at a time!  I spent the last week juggling things on my own. (Terence had to stay on Luke Air Force Base, about 3 hours from here to be on call for security needs for the Superbowl.)  It actually wasn't that bad-- I guess I didn't realize how much I really function as a single parent most days anyway-- but I missed sharing a bed for half the night and I missed our phone conversations (we talk a lot more on the phone during his regular work shifts, gotta love bluetooth earpieces).  Probably the worst was Sunday, and hopefully I don't have to repeat that any time soon.  Except that it's the season of Renaissance Festival, and I know I'll have to.  Dang it.

It's also the season of major projects around here.  Science fair project time for 3 kids, and M has some major "How did they do it 100 years ago?" project for English.  I demanded that she choose the easiest task (to me) on the list, which means that she is learning to make bread from scratch.  Including grinding her own wheat.  Mind you, I don't think many people 100 years ago ground their own wheat (didn't they often just buy flour from the general store or something?), but she got lots of fun experience with a hand grinder yesterday.  She's doing a practice run first but then I get to video her doing it for real for the project.  Yippee.

Parent teacher conferences are also coming up, and seriously, trying to schedule FOUR conferences without having to drive back and forth to the school a gazillion times has been a challenge.  I think I've got it worked out though.  But I'm going to have the most nightmarish Thursday, since I'll take the kids to school, teach 3 piano lessons, run back to pick the kids up, take them home, return to the school (this is 25 minutes one-way, remember?) for conferences, then race back home again to teach 4 more piano lessons, and then tackle homework.  Makes me tired even thinking about it.

I'm officially switched to run in the Phoenix Half Marathon.  I did 8 miles this last Saturday and my foot survived (a little sore by the last mile, but doable), and this week I jump up to 10.  I think I'm going to be fine.  A little disappointed it's not the marathon, but hey, I have never actually run a half marathon race, so that's at least something!

That's the update from around here!  Happy February, everyone!


Comments

Popular Posts