Musical Explanations

I know I've blogged about this before, but has anyone found that having children around really makes you pay attention to song lyrics? I try to screen my music in general (I don't like to listen to stuff that has bad language or promotes behavior that is against my standards) but even still, sometimes it's really hard to know what the heck the singer is going on about. However, I have children that insist on knowing what the song is about, and well . . . it's led to some interesting conversations lately. The frustrating part is when I hear a song enough to like it-- it's fun to sing to, got a catchy beat, or whatever, and I don't hear anything overtly bothersome at first-- until my kids want to know what something means. B and J, especially, both seem to be experts at picking out lyrics and then puzzling over what the singer is talking about. A recent example?

"Stay with Me" by Sam Smith

Guess it's true, I'm not good
At a one night stand
But I still need love
'Cause I'm just a man
These nights never seem to go to plan
I don't want you to leave
Will you hold my hand

Oh won't you stay with me
'Cause you're all I need
This ain't love it's clear to see
But darling stay with me


Well, now I've had to try and explain what a one night stand is and why he wants the girl to stay with him even though "this ain't love." I explained to the kids that this is an "anti-love song"-- something that describes the opposite of the kind of relationship that I want them to have and that God wants them to have. Heck, it doesn't even describe a relationship! But of course, now the song is ruined for all of us.

Another recent example:

"Blank Space" by Taylor Swift

So it's gonna be forever
Or it's gonna go down in flames
You can tell me when it's over
If the high was worth the pain
Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane
Cause you know I love the players
And you love the game


In general we often end up liking Taylor Swift songs around here. They're upbeat and usually friendly to our standards, and more than one member of the family can sing along to her stuff. But this . . . here's another snippet from the lyrics:

Boys only want love if it's torture
Don't say I didn't say I didn't warn you


Yeah. Fortunately, J refuted that straight up, saying it was the silliest idea ever. He doesn't want a tortuous love affair in his future. (These lyrics came from the chorus, but I found the verses even ickier. Fortunately, the kids didn't seem to get much more than the chorus.)

Now I know there's nothing unusual about pop music putting unhealthy or immoral behavior to a catchy beat and getting us all to sing along. But these ones were especially noxious because I didn't catch on quick enough-- not before I had kids too young to understand singing along. Ugh.

I know, I know, the solution is just to avoid the songs with non-kid friendly lyrics. Hard to do on the radio nowadays, at least on the stations I listen to. I really need stuff I can sing along to when I'm sleepy, and my ipod music is getting old. Well, there's always M's ipod playlist to fall back on. Hours of music from The Legend of Zelda video games. Not much sing-along potential though.

(B just came in and asked me about the song I had playing on the computer. I realized it was about a dysfunctional relationship also. I need more positive music, stat!)

Comments

Popular Posts