Recenter

Well, I've managed a break from facebook since Thursday.  It hasn't been quite a week, and already I can tell a difference.  I'm still having issues with anxiety and stress, but oh my goodness, what a difference in feeling friendlier towards everyone.  And I am getting more done, which is absolutely necessary now that the kids are back in school.

I haven't been 100% disconnected.  I deleted the facebook app off my phone (no reason to be tempted) but I kept messenger, so that people who needed to contact me for whatever reason still could.  Also, I still popped on a few times to post reminders about primary stuff on our ward facebook page.  But I haven't gone scrolling through my newsfeed.

It is a little strange.  The other morning Terence spoke up from his computer and mentioned that my sister was at the zoo, and it brought home to me how much I didn't know what was going on in everyone's lives.  But it's only been a few days, and I'm sure I'll hear the major stuff one way or another.  Honestly, if facebook had some kind of useful filtering software for my newsfeed-- that let ME choose what posts showed based on topic filters of some kind, I could probably still manage it without losing my mind.  But in the meantime, if we are facebook friends and you don't hear from me, it's nothing personal.  I'm just MIA from facebook (but not the rest of the digital world).  Send me an old-fashioned email!  (Or even a facebook PM.)

It's early in the morning and I'm having a few minutes to myself where I can think and ponder and study and meditate without craziness going on all around me, so I'm going to make this quick and then get off the computer.

Have you let the minutiae or the inconsequential things in your life take center stage?  I think that was what was happening for me.  I was slowly swamping myself with things that won't matter much (if at all) in the long run.  If so, try to find a moment of quiet and ponder what you are doing here in your life, what your purpose is, and where you are going.  Are the things that are filling your life part of that?  Or are they crowding out what's most important?

I don't want to wake up one day, stare my mortality in the mirror, and wonder why I wasted all my time here on earth.  Just something to think about.  And now I'm off to get some spiritual rejuvenation before I tackle my day.  Good luck with yours!

Comments

Popular Posts