Springing!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Since I'm neither Irish, a holiday fanatic, nor someone just looking for any excuse to drink beer, it's not really a holiday I celebrate.  I didn't even realize it was St. Paddy's until I was at the gym and heard people teasing each other about not wearing green.  Hmm.  Once upon a time it was a tragedy if I forgot to wear green on this day.  It meant a whole school day of fending off pinches.  I wonder if that's considered bullying these days. . . .

Anyway, all is more or less under control in my world at the moment.  My family has been succumbing to the flu (not a stomach bug but the full on nasty stuff people get the flu shot for) one by one over the past few weeks.  It was interesting.  All four of the younger kids had at least one night with fevers reaching 106.  M somehow got off easy-- she never had a fever above about 102 and she only had to miss one day of school (compared to B's four straight days out or K's three days out, 1 day back, and a relapse keeping him home again).  It's hitting our area badly.  The kids' school is delaying report cards because so many kids were out sick the last week of the quarter there's really no point until they get back from spring break and make up the end of the quarter stuff.  Right now all the kids are better and Terence's down for the count.  It's been a real doozy.  (He's been sick since last Saturday.)  So far I've been the lucky one, though if I'm going to get it I really hope it's after Terence feels better but before the kids have to go back to school.  (You listening, universe???  The flu needs to stick to my schedule!)

Hmmm, what other updates do we have?  M is registered for high school, finally.  We toured a few schools, I fretted a lot, and then we finally applied to my first choice (we are out of boundaries, so we have to get approved).  Luckily, she got accepted, and I feel just *right* about the decision.  Just like when I chose the charter they go to now.  It will be tricky-- I'm not sure how the driving is going to work out exactly, but I'm not worried about it because this feels like the best option for our family.  But when Terence makes cracks that my full-time job is our kids' education, it's not really a joke.  I may not be a homeschool mom, but my life revolves around their schooling.  Eh.  It's a stage, I know.  I'll probably miss it when it's over.  But for now, it takes a serious amount of time and effort.

Also, Terence and I celebrated sixteen years of wedded rollercoaster bliss (it's not constant bliss, let's be real, shall we?)  It seems both so long and so short at the same time.  It was kind of fun to have our server when we went out to dinner do a double take when she learned how long we've been married.  Either we look way too young to have been married sixteen years or sixteen years is on par with a golden anniversary nowadays.  (Sadly, I think it was the second option.  Her comment was "Wow, you don't hear that everyday!!")

On the writing front I am thick into revising my next novel (working title "Tarentino").  It's going OK.  Better than it was a month ago when I was moaning to Terence that I was in over my head and I should just quit.  I'm still schizophrenic about my writing though.  I swing from confidence ("I'm going to really make a decent go of this self-publishing thing!") to abject despair ("My writing sucks, and I'm never going to succeed at this.  Why am I bothering again?")  Terence got fed up with me the other day and basically demanded that I quit with the whining.  OK, that's not actually what he said-- it was more along the lines of "Stop saying that your writing sucks or it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy!"  It's a struggle though.  I think my stories are pretty decent, and I want to share them with others who like my kind of stuff, but I see how far I fall short and I read some of the criticism that people post online about other writers' work, and I have a crisis of confidence.

Well, it's a moot point.  I'm not happy if I don't write.  So I'm going to keep on writing.  It is what it is.  And if I can really figure out what I'm doing, maybe eventually I'll make a little bit of money off it.

That pretty much sums up life around here at the moment (well, you know, there's always the standard wrenches thrown in too-- injuries and unexpected repairs and how does this house gets so dirty, didn't I just clean it????)  Hooray for life in all its rollercoaster glory!

Comments

Popular Posts