Just Some Typical Summer Days

Ah, today felt like a break in the heat wave.  It was still hot, mind you, but it wasn't 115 degrees.  I'm grateful for that.

Never a dull moment around here.  Yesterday especially I spent running from place to place.  I got up at 4 and spent a whopping total of two hours at home before I went to bed at about 10pm.  Quite the day.  The icing on the cake was that even though no one was home and I hadn't been doing any laundry, the washer filled with water on its own and overflowed.  That made for a lovely mess.  Luckily Terence was off work in the evening and he did the majority of the clean up while I investigated what could possibly cause that kind of problem.  I've made an internet diagnosis, ordered a part, and plan to install it tomorrow night (assuming it gets here by FedEx as planned).  I'll let you know how it goes; appliance repair is not exactly my area of expertise.

This morning was our summer movie.  We are doing the weekly summer kids' movies this year, the first time I have bought the ticket packages that the school sells.  So far, I don't think I'll do it again.  The kids seemed to enjoy it (mostly) but they've already seen almost all the movies-- Grandma adds kids' movies to her collection regularly-- and S gets bored before the movie is over.  J also tends to annoy whoever is sitting in front of him because he cannot keep his long legs off of the seat back.  Plus, on the whole, even though the movies are blissfully air-conditioned while still getting us out of the house, it's just one more thing filling up our schedule.

Another summer project has been our new dog-guest.  We are long-term dog-sitting for some friends who moved to California.  They won't close on their new house until sometime in July and needed somewhere for Cooper to stay.  So Cooper has joined Willow at our house until then.  I was quite nervous about it to begin with.  Willow is not the most friendly of dogs; she never was, and now she's getting quite up there in dog years.  She hasn't exactly become more welcoming in her old age.  But Willow misses Peanut, and I think that's made a difference.  We've had some growling, snapping matches but no serious fights.  However, when the high heat days kick in (like the stretch we just went through) it's a bit of a pain.  The dogs need to be inside, but we can't put them both in the same room like we used to do with Peanut and Willow.  So Willow goes in the bathroom and Cooper goes in the dog kennel.  Then there's trying to get the bathroom breaks worked out for the dogs, which hasn't been 100% successful so far.  Yuck.  And heaven help us if Cooper gets away from us when we are trying to put him in the kennel.  He tries to mark every little thing. (K's backpack got soaked the other day, he was one angry kiddo.  Though not as angry as I was when Cooper got up on my couch and threatened to mark it too.  Oh you better believe the angry voice came out then.  Apparently Cooper got the memo that I outrank him in the pack hierarchy and he got down without incident.)

Tomorrow J has a birthday party to attend and I have the full piano day.  Plus I'll be getting up early to get to the gym, and then taking the kids to swim in the community pool sometime before morning piano lessons.  At least I don't have Roundtable in the evening!  (I'll be repairing a washer and getting some laundry done, knock on wood!)

Comments

Popular Posts