Scribbler

During the last few weeks of upheaval and trying to figure out just what is important and just what has to go, I've struggled to keep my writing going.  Writing of any kind really.  (It's been a very, very long time since I wrote in my journal.  I used to be pretty regular about that, even if it was just jotting down something that made an impression during my day.)  Even still, I learned during my first NaNoWriMo that I'm just happier if I take some time to write-- to write fiction, mind you-- just about every day.  Of course, it always ended up falling down the list.  After all, nothing earth shattering is going to happen if I don't finish the next novel.  Now if the family runs out of clean laundry-- well, nothing earth shattering will happen either, but there will be a lot more immediate unhappiness around here.

But lately, I've been reading a lot (in my quest to decide if I can really, really find a way to make some extra money with the writing) about the business side of being a writer, and what struck me the most that I can't succeed at this if I am not writing.  If what I need to do is improve my skill-- I can't do that without writing, any more than a pianist will improve without practice.  If what I need to do is make some money-- well, I can't do much about that if I don't actually write things either.  So what got pounded into my head is that I need to make writing a habit every day, no matter what else is going on, kind of like exercise and scripture study (those are my other non-negotiables). Very, very few writers are able to do nothing but write full time.  Certainly not those who have children!  So why wait to start the habit of making writing a priority?

It's just a bonus that I'm happier when I do.  Or is it more than a bonus?  Is it just as vital to my sanity as the exercise is?

I tested that theory today.  See, way back in the day, I decided that if scripture study and exercise were things that I couldn't go without, then they needed to come first in my day, at least as often as it was reasonably possible.  So on my average day, I get up long before the rest of my family, study my scriptures, and then throw in the first part of my planned exercise for the day.  Then first thing after dropping off the kids at school, I hit the gym, covering the rest of my planned exercise.  This way, no matter what else may knock me sideways during the day, at least I got those two things done.  I have to juggle it sometimes (stuff happens) but generally, it's made me a much happier, healthier person to put that first.

But if my writing time is just as important as my exercise, how was I going to get it in first thing?  I've been trying it when I get home from the gym, but usually there are other things I have to take care of and by the time I sit down at my computer I doze off at the keyboard.  It was such a struggle, even when I carved out the time for it.  So today I decided to skip the early morning bike ride after scripture study and use that time to work on the novel.  It was nerve-wracking.  Some part of me was terrified that by pushing my full workout back until after the kids were dropped off at school meant that I might fall off the exercise wagon.

Nope.  I got in my goal for the day (1,000 words) before I left to take the kids to school, then went to the gym and spent a half hour longer there than I would have otherwise.  But when I got home, I knew I had my writing done for the day, and I was able to energetically tackle housecleaning instead (which I don't have trouble staying awake for!)

Current work-in-progress (the novel named "Tarentino" temporarily, though that has so little to do with the story it's silly that the name stuck) is now up to 116k words.  Hooray!!  I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel, and then I've got some major editing ahead of me.  It will need to be trimmed down for sure.  I've got one month to get it wrapped up (at least the first draft) so I can be ready to start a brand new novel for November.

Can't wait!

Comments

Popular Posts