An Interlude of Peace (and Pain)

Just taking a moment to check in.

It's been fall break around here, which has meant two weeks of no school driving.  Hallelujah!  For those of you on traditional school schedules wondering "WTH? Two weeks off in October???" remember that we have been in school since July.  So yeah, desperately ready for a break, OK?

The most awesome thing about fall break?  My blood pressure went down so that I had more "green light days" than "orange light days."  (My blood pressure monitor gives me a green light if my blood pressure is under 135/85.)  Granted, that ended last weekend.  Sunday night I was back up to 160/99.  Seriously!!!!  Grrrr.

The health update: my doctor has decided that my blood pressure is doing well enough not to need meds.  I still have the "as needed" anti-anxiety meds.  I took one on Sunday (since I was going to attempt to teach Relief Society again and I didn't want a repeat performance of the last time) and mostly it made me feel pretty sleepy, and a slight bit loopy when I taught.  All went well though.  Also, my CT scan came back normal, so the hypertensive crisis didn't cause any undetected brain bleeds or strokes or any of the other scary stuff the doctor was concerned about.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, my right shoulder decided to freeze up on Sunday.  "Freeze up" is the term the chiropractor used, but really, what it did was cause agonizing spasms of pain every time I tried to move my arm.  (Probably why my BP went back up.)  I was in tears a lot.  And frankly, a bit panicky by Sunday night.  Terence gave me a priesthood blessing and I was able to get some sleep Sunday night.  When I saw the chiropractor on Monday morning, his comment was "Well, you really did a number on yourself."

Yeah, so much for finishing the painting job.

You see, my over break project was to do some long-needed renovation to the kids' bathroom.  M's eternal steamy showers plus the younger kids' repeated flooding of the sink/tub had led to some serious water damage and rusting in the bathroom.  The vanity was starting to buckle from the rotting wood.  So being the intrepid and foolhardy DIY beginner that I am, I decided to tackle it.  I'll post again about that specifically.  But anyway, as part of that I ended up painting the bathroom, which led to buying like 8 gallons of paint so that we can repaint the rest of the house.  (Possibly why my shoulder rebelled.  It was a preemptive strike.)

My other over break project was to get novel #4 finished, at least that never-ending first draft.  It still isn't.  (I'm up to 135k words and it still isn't done.  Yikes.  I have less than two weeks.)  I'm also already gearing up for NanoWriMo 2016.  Here is my public annoucement:  I, mirada11 (my nano handle) am writing a novel tentative called "Shadows of Zenith" in November.  Yep.  A glutton for holiday season punishment again.  But it's awesome.  Check out nanowrimo.org if you want to take a stab at it yourself!

Well, that's my check in.  Got to get out of my chair and moving-- a long day lined up ahead of me.  Welcome back to real life again, Heidi!

Happy almost autumn!  (For those of us in the desert.  The cooler weather is so close I can almost taste it!!!!)

Comments

Popular Posts