Even Steven Again

Well, Dark Heidi (heehee, I can laugh at that now-- wow, I was in a bad mood last week) has been MIA all week.  Great news!  Either I'm managing bedtime better (by abdication of my motherly duties mostly) or I'm hormonally balanced at the moment.  Both, I guess.

Today we had a family council to discuss the bedtime crisis in our family and what each of the kids felt was the problem and any solutions they thought would help.  I think it went well.  Each kid got the opportunity to talk without criticism or contradiction (well, I had to shush the others sometimes) as well as make suggestions.  I even kept a straight face through it all, though it was a mighty struggle when S proclaimed that she was having trouble going to sleep because "K keeps singing the Elsa song."  (The mental image of K belting out "Let It Go" from the top of his headboard wouldn't go away.  Needless to say, S's imagination is a leeetle overactive.  Nothing like learning to accuse someone else of your own behavior at a young age. . . .)  Anyway, we have an action plan now, and I hope it works.  (Please, please let it work!!!!!)  This can't go on-- my kids are generally not getting to sleep until 11pm (best case) and that is just way too short a night.  M has been the worst, averaging between 4 and 5 hours of sleep a night.  Mornings are ROUGH around here.  And we've got a busy month ahead of us and everyone needs as much energy as possible!

It's time to get into full end of the year swing now.  We hit our first triple digit day this week (though today we only hit the 70's-- so utterly random, but I remember unexpected snow in May in Utah, so I guess this is the desert equivalent of that), and you can taste summer break in the air.  My kids are getting antsy, all except B (who is dreading the end of the school year because she is going to miss it, apparently).  I'm dancing around in anticipation of not having to spend at least two hours driving every day.  But first we've got to get through the end of the year projects and stuff.

First up is an awards ceremony for M making the Principal's List for three quarters (no idea about the fourth yet since she still has finals looming over her).  I have no idea what that means exactly, except that it has to be for her grades.  Guess we'll find out.  B has her wax museum this week.  She finished her ginormously long paper (for a 5th grader) and the trifold display, but now she has to tackle an evening of dressing up as Babe Didrikson Zaharias and giving a little spiel about her life over and over and over.  So the next couple of days are going to be cramming to memorize her speech.  J has his solar powered car due this week, and M has a large model of the Roman Coliseum due (both are mostly finished by now, thank heavens).  This week is also (HOPEFULLY) when M is finally going to get her driver's permit.  I have a mother's day party (or two?) at school to attend, S has a birthday party to go to, and the plan is for me to make it to the temple as well.  Whew!

Nothing like a list to keep me focused.

Comments

Popular Posts