Simplifying is Anything but Simple

I was very tempted to skip my weekly blog post this week but since I didn't manage to post last week either I figured I'd better just fit it in anyway.  So at the moment I am typing this in the van on the way home from Sunday dinner at my parents' house. (No, I'm not driving!  That would take texting and driving to a whole new level.) So what on earth is filling up my time?  Why can't I manage a blog post once a week?

January is supposed to be my 2nd most laid back month of the year (the first being June).  But for whatever reason that never happened.  Possibly because I took on projects like repairing the water damaged wall above my shower-- oh, and I am six feet deep revising a 155k word novel.  Then there are things like starting the high school application process for J.  (We know which high school we want to send him to-- since M is already there-- but we are out of boundaries so we'll have to go through the fun of submitting a thick packet of paperwork and praying that he gets in.) And for some reason the kids have seemed extra busy with church activities.

None of this stuff has been unusually difficult.  And yet, it's still been hard.  I feel like I've been trying to swim upriver.  I'm making progress but it's exhausting.  I desperately work towards the weekends so I can have a break and then there's no break.

It's a treadmill.  I can't get off- the best hope I have is to reduce the speed a bit.  But I can't seem to figure out how to do so.  What do I cut out?

Blog posts? (I'm barely doing any as it is.)
Following the online indie writer community? (That's mostly while I'm killing time while waiting to pick up kids.)
Cleaning my house?  (Wait, I've already dropped down to doing the bare minimum.)
My social life? (I already don't have one.)

How do you simplify when it feels like you've already done so?

I've been asking this question for years, and I still haven't figured it out.  Has anyone else????

Comments

Popular Posts