Almost . . . There

We have just about made it through May.  I feel like I'm crawling across the finish line though.  Some of the hodgepodge of craziness we've been through this month:

  • J had a talk for sacrament meeting at church on Mother's Day that he completely forgot about.  So Sunday morning shortly before church I sat down and wrote something up for him. (I did add in a line about how much he loves his mom and all she does for him!)
  • Pack meeting for K on a night when I completely forgot about it.  I thought he just had a den meeting that I could drop him at and then hide out in the car.  I was supposed to be working on the proof review for Rift that night.  Sooo, change of plans.  I did join the pack meeting-- the cubmaster took a bunch of pictures and in every single one I am staring at my phone.  I look like the poster-child for smartphone addiction.
  • The AP World History test for M, with numerous practice tests and study sessions beforehand.  Her teacher was a rockstar.  Especially with trying to get his students prepped despite the teacher walkout.
  • A scrapbook project for J.  J is not remotely interested in making things frilly.  He is not exactly nostalgic either.  It was a long, drawn out process but eventually finished (whew!)
    B, chef extraordinaire
  • B's mammoth report on Malta.  Pages and pages to type and some very late nights.  We finished with a marathon baking session of four Maltese pound cakes (which went even longer because halfway through I realized we were a full dozen eggs short of what we needed!)  Apparently the pound cake was a success because B sold all her samples at the expo night easy-peasy. (Wish I had remembered to take a picture of the finished product but honestly I was a frazzled mess after whipping cream from scratch and piping it onto at least fifty pieces of pound cake plus slicing all the strawberries for the garnish.  Yikes, it was a long day!)
  • Five (FIVE!) cavities filled for S.  It was not a fun appointment.  It was the same day as her school "water party" so at least she had something to look forward to afterward.  Even if she had a numb mouth the whole time...
  • On the writing end,  I've been trying to get Rift completely set up and ready to release on June 1st.  And working like a madwoman on books #5-6.  I did manage to finish the first draft of #5. Nothing like the writing muse demanding action when you are already a crazy woman.
Plus there were the fun little side diversions like taking the kids to the pool, teaching a teenage daughter how exactly to use a tampon for the first time, digging a soccer ball out of a nasty, spider-infested storm drain with a rake, visiting the MVD to renew M's driver permit, and finally getting around to patching drywall holes in the kids' bedrooms. 

This week we have a kinder promotion, an 8th grade promotion, a slew of end-of-school parties, and teacher thank you gifts to put together.  And then, at last, I can breathe.  For a few days, anyway (then the mad-cap packing for multiple camping trips will begin!)

Comments

Popular Posts