Five Reasons January Did Not Suck

I made it through January!!

(Well, technically, I still have three hours to go.  But I think it's close enough to call it good.)

Though the January blues dogged me this year (and the matching anxiety has been a pain), there are some lovely things to remind me just how blessed I am:

1.  J is healthy and well.  There's nothing like Facebook memories popping up to remind you just how harrowing the year before was.  Other than some small abdominal scars, you'd never know he spent two weeks in the hospital scaring us all to death.  (Ruptured appendixes are no joke.  Especially when complications ensue.)

2.  M is picking the younger kids up from school four days a week now.  This seriously frees up a chunk of time for me.  It's lovely not to have to rush right in from school driving and try to throw dinner together while also tackling homework.  Instead I can prep while they are on their way home.

3.  My parents gave me a huge, generous gift for Christmas-- which means I got to choose a new range and a new dishwasher.  I am so excited!!  My dishwasher hasn't been able to do more than give the dishes a spotty rinse in ages, and my stovetop randomly short-circuits and tries to boil things even when set to low.  They arrive in about ten days.  Woohoo!!  (And then I get to choose some new kitchen flooring too!  That one I'm still trying to figure out the best option is.)

4.  An anonymous angel sent us a jaw-dropping amount of cash in the mail.  This arrived just as I trying to decide if I should raid the emergency fund to get Terence and the kids their eye exams and glasses.  Guess who is getting new glasses after two years!  I think we'll even be able to get J prescription sunglasses, which will be a huge help, since it is difficult to practice driving without getting blinded in the desert.  So many of our roads run east/west and there are no hills or trees to block the sun.

5.  I have an amazing husband.  Really, he should go up top on the list.  I couldn't get by without Terence.  One of the advantages of being married for (almost) twenty years is that he knows me so very well.  And when I am hormonal and irrational, when the tears won't stop, Terence is always there to remind me that the negative thoughts in my head don't reflect reality and that the feelings are temporary and they will pass.  He also prods me to get outside and get some sunlight-- and this week as I sat out on my driveway in a chair soaking up some lovely rays on a 70 degree day, I could literally feel my spirit revive.  Best gift ever-- time to sit in the sun without feeling guilty.  (Thank you, sweetheart, for making me take care of myself!!)

So here we go, into February.  It is always a whirlwind month around here.  The next big thing of course is my half marathon, the one where I (knock on wood) will get my Star.  I just need to stay healthy for one more week!!  No injuries, no illness, no rain (at least not on Saturday, pretty please)!

Comments

Popular Posts