The Wrap Up

Another year is winding its way down-- it's been an interesting year.  Well, I don't know if any year of my life has been boring, so they all qualify as interesting in their own ways.  But this year has been an exercise in schedule juggling like I've never had to manage before.  Yes, I've said that at other points in my life, but I don't think it could get more hectic than it is now.  Well, knock on wood.  (I probably shouldn't have said that.  You know how in a story as soon as a character says "Things can't get any worse" that the crap immediately hits the fan....)

It's been a tough December.  Perhaps not as tough as last December, for which I'm grateful.  But it has been a long slog.  The combination of stress, illness, crazy hormones, and winter weather were not a great mix. I think I'm almost through it though.  The days are already getting longer again (more sunlight is a happy thing).  I'm on the mend (I think) from my bear of a cold.  At least, I have a voice again and I don't need Theraflu just to sleep anymore.  And no Theraflu means my blood pressure should, hopefully, drop back down where it belongs.  Not much can be done about the crazy hormones, but hey, gritting my teeth and pushing forward will get me through that too.  And luckily, our winter (such as it is) will probably last only eight more weeks at the longest.  As for change knocking me silly, well, I'm not sure what to do about that one.

Is it odd that the older I get, the harder it is for me to roll with the changes?  And the changes just keep coming? At church this year has been one major change after another (and a whole bunch of those changes start next week-- January is going to be confusing around here, I bet).  School life has been nothing but change (keeping track of four different school schedules has left me wondering what a "normal" school week is).  I try to keep abreast of the indie publishing stuff and that is a whirlwind of constant change as well.  I don't think change is new, but when I was younger change didn't leave me feeling like a stranded fish on the beach, gasping and wriggling and wondering where the heck the water went (and why can't I breathe????)  It makes looking forward to the New Year difficult.  I used to make resolutions, and now I can't even face the thought of resolution-changes.  Not that I don't want to be a better person, or change out some bad habits.  But it's just that thinking of the future gets just a little jitter-inducing.

2019 will be a year of big birthdays around here.  S will turn 8 and get baptized, always a fun thing (except the birthday party I will have to throw to go with it).  K will turn 10 and finish up cub scouts (I am not sending him onto boy scouts).  B will turn 14 (holy moly) and go into 8th grade so it's time to figure out the high school situation again.  J will turn 16 (oh dear) and very possibly start to drive.  And M will turn 18 (oh my gosh my heart is about to stop at the thought).  It is NOT POSSIBLE that my baby is going to be a legal adult.  Granted, she isn't leaving yet-- she turns 18 at the beginning of her senior year so we get one more year of her at least.  But talk about change!!!!

(Pardon me while I take a break to hyperventilate just for a minute.)

So....Happy New Year?  Maybe?  Do you think if I hide under my covers tomorrow night 2019 will never come?

Comments

Popular Posts