Viva La Musica!

Ha! I just got my annual Social Security statement in the mail, and they are still trying to convince me that yes, SS will be around when I retire (even though the fund will be depleted in 2037, they say.)

Whatever. You people who keep spending amounts of money in the gazillions and somehow think that our whole country isn't going to be bankrupt by the time I retire, just keep living in your fantasy world!!!

I wonder why it is that the government can't seem to learn the lesson that this particular recession should have made abundantly clear. Debt is not a pathway to wealth! Spending vast amounts of money beyond what you have will come back to bite you in the behind eventually. (Or rather our behinds, because we'll have to pay the taxes. Maybe that's why they don't care. Blech.)

OK, end tirade and on with my regularly scheduled blog.

Way, way back in the dark ages, I posted that poll about singing in the car, and everyone who chose to vote in it apparently is musically inclined. Well, I never did get around to explaining that poll, so I might as well do so now.

I am definitely in the car singer group. Any trip with me (assuming I know at least some of the words to the song, or I can make up some) is a full-blown concert. It's probably entertaining to anyone who drives next to me. Now, generally I refrain when there are other adults in the car, but my kids have gotten the full listening experience all their lives. So last month when I looked in the rear view mirror, I really shouldn't have been surprised.

I had the Erasure Greatest Hits CD on, and all three of my older kids were belting out all the words to "Chorus." And they had synchronized arm motions for it. (You know, like when the kids do motions to go with "Popcorn Popping.") It was so hilarious!! My hope was during this last month to try and catch them at it on video, but unfortunately, whenever I point a camera at any of them, they get all shy. So you'll just have to imagine it. If I ever can find a sneaky way to capture it, I'll post it for you.

M is especially following in my footsteps. She loves to sing along, and for a often-shy girl, she sings pretty loudly! Lately, she has also taken the time to request her favorite songs over and over, so she can sing along. (Even if there are no words she often has hand motions and "dum, dah-dums" along with the music.)

M's Favorite Songs (in no particular order):

  • "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell
  • "Scorponok" from the Transformers soundtrack
  • "White Flag" by Dido
  • "Professor Umbridge" from the Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix soundtrack
  • almost the entire soundtrack to the movie "Stardust"
  • "Star," "Chorus," and "Love to Hate You" by Erasure (actually, the whole last half of that CD)
It's an odd little mix for an 8-year-old, mostly reflecting what I force them to listen to. Not a Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers song on the list. Thank goodness! (Though I'm sure the day will come when I can't stand what she wants to listen to. May that day be far off in the future!)

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
Love the music and so glad there's not Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers to be heard!!!
I love to sing in the car too. My husband used to play air guitar... we'd have a real good thing going with all of us together.
Abby said…
I always thought it was so cute when PW was 2 and she'd sing along to "Bad Day." Oh, and Phil Collins.
Anonymous said…
Heidi, you're a girl after my heart. I think music is one of the neatest things God gave us. And teaching you kids what you love is what it's all about. Oh, I'd give anything to see that video. The little cuties! I can just picture it. I loved that post (I always love anything about music!!!)
Kaycee said…
I wish you could capture it on camera. I would love to see!

Popular Posts