Summer Dread

I've been spoiled out here in the desert. We've had a much cooler May than I have any right to expect. Oh, we've had hot days. Hot days are inevitable in this part of the country. But for the most part, we've had bearable weather. Shoot, last night we went out in the early evening to let the kids play with sparklers and it felt cool. Not uncomfortable, need-a-jacket cool, but just perfect shortsleeve coolness. I loved it!

But I can't help but dread the summer.

Sticky, blistering, swampy heat is getting closer and closer. Monsoon season usually starts sometime in June, bringing the afternoon thunderstorms (which I like) but also the ever present humidity and temperatures near 110 degrees. It's uncomfortable enough even when you aren't pregnant.

I've done pregnancy twice before during a Phoenix summer. Fortunately, J came towards the beginning of the summer (otherwise I may have shot myself). Even then, I pretty much lived that last month of pregnancy in the pool. Fortunately I only had M and not much else on my plate at the time. With K, I spent much of the summer still nauseous, and that pretty much overshadowed everything else. Granted, I surfaced back into reality enough to be miserably hot and uncomfortable toward the end of the season, but I was not as far along as I am now (and soon found myself on bedrest anyway).

But this time I get to go through the whole thing as a semi-large pregnant woman. Lucky me! (Well, at least summer will be mostly past by the time I get to my 3rd trimester. Kind of. OK, that's not really accurate when summer lasts through October. But if we lived somewhere with normal seasons that would be true.)

But maybe, just maybe we will have a cooler-than-normal summer. Maybe we won't go past 105 degrees! Hey, I can dream, right?

Comments

Jean said…
i'm right there with you--dreamin'!

btw, did you solve the swimsuit challenge?
Heidi said…
I finally gave in an ordered one from Motherhood. Hopefully it fits-- cost me a fortune but I just can't live without a swimsuit much longer!
Ashlie Dalton said…
i know how you feel... growing up in st. george wasn't always pretty. :)

and i love a summer thunderstorm too! i open all the windows and air out the house with fresh smelling rain.

GOOD LUCK. and i mean that.
Kaycee said…
I don't know how you can be pregnant in that sorta of heat! I couldn't handle it with out being pregnant.
I hope it is cooler for you this year.
I flew into Pheonix a couple years ago and had to stay the night. It was 10 pm and it was so stinkin hot!!!!!! 110 at that time!! we about died!

Popular Posts