Weekly Roundup

I have a few moments to myself this morning (a miracle!) so I thought I'd pop in and give some highlights from our week.  Normal people seem to have stuff to write like "Billy won the statewide science fair with his project!" and "I threw a Spiderman-themed birthday bash for 50 people with color-coordinated decorations, custom treat bags for all the kids, and a beautiful homemade piñata!"  (OK, I'm being a bit silly.)  But our highlights from the week aren't anything spectacular or unusual, just a snippet of ordinary life around Heidi's house.

Some things that have been going on around here:


  • Terence has not been around.  This is pretty normal for this time of year.  He has been working traffic control for the Renaissance Festival, teaching defensive tactics courses at the police academy in Phoenix, and he went to a two day training thingy where he was gone from 6am to 6pm.  Last night he was actually home when we were awake (after the long training session) but he spent most of it asleep.  Poor man, it might take awhile to close that sleep deficit.  (It doesn't help that his primary form of recreation lately has been watching crime shows on YouTube until the wee hours of the morning.)
  • The kids have been on spring break.  We haven't done anything special for this exactly.  The kids did spend the night at Grandma's house a couple of times, but mostly it's been a relax at home break.  They had a two week break and it is coming to a close today.  I'm slightly happy to have them going back to school, but mostly I'm not looking forward to getting up early again and battling over homework.  (Wait, that kind of sounds like I've been sleeping in.  I haven't, I still have a four month old baby.  But it's worlds different when I don't have to wake up all the kids and leave the house by 7am!)
  • K started swimming lessons.  This was doomed to failure.  K loves swimming pools and he has no fear of water.  But he is just barely 3 years old and he is stuck in a class with kids two years older who are already paddling around.  His teacher can't understand why he just sits and stares at her when she asks him to practice "blowing bubbles" or "doing his ice cream scoops."  By the third lesson he was crying and refusing to join in.  Then we had one good lesson because I bribed him with a Kit Kat to stay in the pool (plus there was only one other boy at the lesson that day).  But before we could build on that at all, he got sick.  He's missed two lessons now and I don't think he'll be able to go back to his lessons this week either.  Oh well.  I don't think I'm going to bother signing him up for April.
  • The kids (and Mom) got sick.  Did I just mention that K got sick?  He's had the worst of it so far, but B, J, S and Mommy are all joining the snotty nose brigade.  Fortunately, though my version includes an upset stomach, I'm still the best off so I can function well enough to take care of my family.  It's meant even less sleep because K and B cough themselves awake frequently.  At least S seems to be sleeping normally so far.
  • I have been losing further large amounts of brain cells.  Besides the normal gazillion times I lost my keys or my cell phone this week, I also left the baby bag at the gym, misplaced my wallet, and forgot to feed the dogs every time Terence asked me to.  The worst was probably when I dashed around the house like a maniac looking for my cell phone for fifteen minutes before borrowing Terence's phone to help.  I chose my name from his contacts and called my phone only to have it ring from my other hand.  Yes, I was holding my phone the whole time.  If that doesn't provide proof that motherhood kills brain cells, I don't know what does.
  • I got my bathroom completely clean.  I'm sharing this because it is one thing from this week that gives me great satisfaction.  It took me an hour and a half, but it has been ages since I've had the tub, shower, toilet, mirrors, sinks, and floor all clean at the same time.  It's a blissful feeling.

There you go, a peek at our lives.  (And my break is up, S is awake and crying.  Back to work!)


Comments

Kaycee said…
That would be hard to have the hubby gone so much! Playing the single parent roll. Hard for him too.

I hope you guys get better soon!

I had to chuckle at your scatter brain! Haha! I bet you don't find it so funny.
Anonymous said…
What a trooper you are. I love reading your blogs, regardless of the subject matter, but it's really fun to see how much we all have in common. Keep up the good work. Hugs!
Stefanie said…
I'm glad I read your blog this morning. After reading a few others, and hearing about science fairs won and deep Gospel family discussions. I was feeling a bit discouraged. My life lately has been very non-braggy lately. Today I will feel like a superhero if I can accomplish getting groceries for the next week and doing a mountain of laundry. Who knows maybe everyone will be dressed. Thanks for keeping it real and Congrats on the bathroom. Its an accomplished I haven't managed in quite sometime:)
Ashlie Dalton said…
often when i read your blog posts all i can think about is what a great mom/wife you are with all the things you have to remember and get done through the day with little to no help (on the home front).
i felt satisfied reading that you got your bathroom cleaned too :) is that silly? i just don't know how you do it all.
i hope you are starting to come out of your funk (depression). i for one am glad to hear from you again on here.
Lissy said…
Oh, how I love getting something cleaned all at the same time! It is something to rejoice in for sure! Most of the time I don't share anything on my blog because Lily and I are just at home most of the time. Just the idea of swimming lessons or some extra lesson sort of stresses me out. I need to try to do more, but sometimes I think I'm just not up to making it more complicated...but things are about to speed up with #2 on the way and Lily getting older and going to be starting school. Can't get around it! You are like super mom/woman to me :)

Popular Posts