Cheap Housing, Anyone?

During some random blog surfing today, I came across a comment that mentioned that Detroit's house values are averaging around $10,000.  This shocked me, even though I've heard rumors that the housing market in Detroit is astonishingly bad.  So just for the heck of it, I visited zillow.com to get their take on it.

Zillow lists Detroit's "index price" as somewhere around $29,000.  Not as bad as $10,000 but still pretty horrible.  (Though I don't know exactly what they mean by that.  Is it a median price?  Probably some number magicked up by a proprietary formula.)  In comparison, the lovely and highly depreciated area I live in gets an index value of $115,000.  Apparently a place where summer temps can hit 117 degrees still beats out living in Detroit.  Anyway, I spent a little longer fooling around with Zillow just for fun.

I did a general search of houses sold recently in Detroit and filtered out the foreclosures, just hoping to get a more generous picture of their state of affairs.  The first featured home on my list was a 1942 2 bedroom/1 bath house that sold for a whopping $12,000.  Hey, less than we paid for our used minivan!  But our family of seven could never fit in a 900 sq ft house so I figured that wasn't going to cut it.  Next, I selected the "for sale" group and filtered the pool to get only 4+ bedrooms with at least 2 bathrooms and 1600 square feet.  The first house to pop up was this beauty:


Doesn't it just make you want to move to Detroit?  No??  Well, maybe the asking price will. . . it's listed for a mere $100.  One month's piano lessons and I could buy this 6 bedroom/ 2 bath house.   Granted, it's probably in a serious state of disrepair and located in a 'hood where I couldn't walk down the street, but still!!

Again, this didn't seem like a fair comparison.  After all, the house I live in is relatively new.  So I narrowed my search to houses built after 2000.  This gave me one house about the same size as my current one for $55,000.  It also pulled up two veritable mansions running in the $500k range.  Well, that's not enough to choose from, especially since the $55k one didn't have a picture.  (It could be a burned out shack for all I know.)  So I pushed the search date back to 1980.

Only the same 3 houses popped up.  So I guess Detroit hasn't had a new housing boom (at least not in the main city) in the last thirty years.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised.  How dare I pick on those poor rust belt cities!

I finally cut Detroit some slack and looked up my own house.  Zillow values us at $85,000.  Hey, that means we're only down $100,000 from the price we paid for it!  Not bad, since two years ago we were down $120,000.  Maybe by the time the kids leave for college we could actually break even.

Comments

Jean said…
Interesting--you should widen your search to te 'burbs'.
Amy said…
So of course I immediately went to zillow to check my house. And that part of the site is down, but I did check out what all my neighbors are selling their houses for...they are either on crack or, we would break even if we sold now. But I tend to think the people selling are on crack, since they are builing new homes across the street for less.
Heidi said…
I actually looked up your house as well, Amy, and zillow gave a value of about $119k. Of course, I don't know how that can possibly be accurate because they showed the house to the right of you as $118k. Somehow that would surprise me. Maybe their formula is screwy....
Kaycee said…
My Grandparents live an hour north of Detroit. Their neighbors nice big house on a big beautiful lot, right on lake Huron was sold for $29, 000. 15 yrs ago my Grandparents house was worth $500,00. Horrible

Popular Posts