Thwarted

Something to celebrate: I've got only 13 lbs left to go to reach my weight loss goal!  That means that I've lost somewhere about 30-35 lbs since I had S.  The pregnancy was a killer.  After all my successful weight loss before, I gained a whopping 50 lbs during those nine (ten) months.  What made it worse was that I had gotten pregnant right after struggling through a holiday season that had left me almost ten pounds heavier than where I want to be.  My biggest challenge during the next few months will be keeping the holiday weight creep from undoing all my hard work.

While worrying about it to Terence, he presented me with a matter-of-fact solution-- if I'm going to be eating more calories with all the candy/yummy holiday food fests, I need to kick my exercise up.  The trouble is, I've been keeping a food diary for nearly four years now.  I know that to make up for one "holiday dinner" you need to kick up the exercise A TON.  And if you are regularly snacking on Halloween candy?  You'd better plan on some serious rear-end kicking interval training or something.  It takes at least a 2 mile run to make up for one candy bar.  Truly.  No wonder most of our nation struggles with their weight.

Anyway, yesterday I was determined to get a larger quantity of exercise in, to make up for the nasty trap of having Halloween candy and cookies in the house.  I made it to the gym to get some weight training in, first time I've been able to go in several weeks.  Unfortunately, I only got about halfway through my workout when the child care ladies called me to get S, who was not happy at all.  Strike one.  Back home once I got her down for a nap I figured I'd try again by using my borrowed-from-the-library Biggest Loser workout DVD.  However, right in the middle of my high impact aerobics (intense stuff), K let the dogs in the house and Peanut decided to attack the trash can.  Strike two.  By the time I'd gotten the dogs back outside and the trash cleaned up, S had woken up.  Reminding myself to be flexible, I decided to hook the bike trailer up and take K and S for a half hour bike ride.  With my shorter amounts of weight training and DVD aerobics, I figured it would fill in the difference and make my exercise a decent amount of calorie burning for the day.  Got the kids all loaded up and our ride went pretty well for about 3 miles or so (other than K yelling at S to move over and S crying every time K took away her bottle).  But then disaster struck.  The tire on the bike trailer loudly popped.  Strike three.  That was when I discovered I hadn't remembered to bring my phone.  Terence was working anyway.  So I was 2 miles from home, with a flat bike trailer, two kids (neither of which had shoes on) and a bike that I couldn't just leave there.  To make things more stressful, I had only 30 minutes to make it back home before it was time to pick up the older kids from school.

Yikes!

After finagling the tire back onto the rim as best I could, I opted to try and ride slowly on my utterly flat tire back to the house.  It was tough going.  It can be a real challenge to pull a bike trailer without a flat tire, let alone with one tire flapping erratically!  We made it though.  As I dragged the wretched bike trailer back into the garage, I realized that though none of my workouts had gone as planned, I had probably gotten a decent workout between all three attempts.  About as good as it gets when you are trying to get in shape and raise children at the same time!

Comments

Kaycee said…
That's great! You are almost back down. Wish i could say the same for me.

I love biggest loser work outs
Lissy said…
Congratulation on being so close to your goal! You are an inspiration! :)

Popular Posts