Magic Solutions

Did you make a New Year's resolution about losing weight?  If so, you're not alone.  I think I made a resolution that included that for years.  And judging by all the chatter on my facebook wall and the weight loss products I see gracing the "seasonal" aisles in the stores, a huge number of people are probably recommitting themselves to this journey (maybe for the fifth or sixth or fortieth time).

I'm seeing some things that worry me, so I might rant a little bit here.  Consider yourself warned.

I am what is considered a "weight loss success" story.  I'm a member of the National Weight Loss Control Registry, a study that follows people who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for a year or longer.  If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you probably even went along on that journey with me for a bit.  Despite that, I am not an expert.  I don't know everything about weight loss.  I don't have the diet solution for everyone.  I cannot pretend that I know exactly what will help someone else get down to their ideal body weight.

But I have learned a few things, and since I am no longer really in the game, so to speak, I can evaluate some of the "diets" I see with a more skeptical eye-- less clouded by hope, perhaps.  The diet industry is big, guys.  It is a massive, lucrative industry.  There are a ton of people who make their entire living off convincing you that you need to change, you need to lose weight to be happy, and that they have the magic solution to your problem.  These solutions are not only peddled in your local drugstore or on TV, but you probably see them nonstop, not only as social media ads but possibly even promoted by friends.

Please, please be skeptical of the grandiose claims of those who promise to make your weight loss simple, painless, and quick, especially when it will cost you a great deal of money.  In fact, I would say that if you are considering anything that promises to be painless, quick and without effort but costs a good deal of money-- run, don't walk, as fast as you can in the other direction.  Even surgical solutions are not painless, my friends, or lightning-quick.  Such a solution is guaranteed to be playing on your emotions while trying to make money.

Some other points that I think are important to keep in mind:

  • Weight loss is not happily ever after.  It will not fix all the problems in your life.  If your marriage is unhappy before you lose weight, a diet will not automatically turn your husband into Prince Charming.  If your job frustrates you or you are having money troubles, these difficulties do not melt away on their own as soon as you slip into a pair of skinny jeans.  (Weight loss can help-- you may have energy and health and the confidence to tackle your other problems that you didn't have before-- but it doesn't fix them automatically.)
  • In most cases, the quicker the weight loss, the quicker that weight goes back on.  Be especially wary of anything that promises you to lose a large amount of weight in a matter of weeks.  A safe and practical goal is about 1 pound a week.  (Surgical options are different-- but if you are considering this route, please make sure you do your homework first.  It is not for everyone.)
  • Hitting your weight target will not automatically turn you into an airbrushed model from the cover of Glamour.  If you are in the habit of criticizing the way you look (or thinking negatively about yourself) you will probably continue.  You just might turn to other features (your hair, your teeth, your skin tone . . . you get the idea).
  • Really do your homework when it comes to supplements.  In many cases the miraculous results they promise only come with a diet and exercise plan also (the fine print)-- and there's a good chance that you would get that weight loss with diet and exercise alone.  And supplements do not have to be evaluated by the FDA, and they do not even have to do research to "prove" the claims they make at all.  Buyer beware-- if it sounds too good to be true, there's a good chance it is too good to be true.
  • Maintaining your weight loss once you achieve it takes a lot of hard work.  Well, in my case it does.  I'm learning a lot about that process as well (I might just blog about this end some this year).  You are committing to changing your life, at least if you want it to be long term.  It's best to understand that from the beginning!
I don't want to discourage any one in their weight loss goals-- quite the opposite!  Losing weight was a fantastic journey for me, one that brought me energy and confidence and new opportunities.  However, I don't want to see anyone waste their time and money on diets or fads that will only disappoint them.  Let this be the year you succeed in changing your life in ways that will make you healthier and happier!!

Comments

Popular Posts