Summer, My Former Friend and Current Nemesis, Has Arrived

It's officially summer here in the desert.

Yes, I know figuring out the official start of summer can be tricky.  It could be the day on the calendar (June 21st, though summer temps have long been around by then for us).  It could be the first day the kids are out of school (I love this one, which would mean that summer has indeed started around here), but my kids go back to school in July and there is no way on earth summer has ended by then.  Here in the desert we could consider our first "triple digit" day the start of summer, which is more my cup of tea.  Hot = summer, in my book.  But usually our first 100-degree-plus day happens pretty early and then we have a run of milder days again, so that doesn't work so well.

For my part, I consider it officially summer when I realize that for at least a week the weather has been blistering hot.  There's no doubt in my mind that we are there now.  I have to put the sunshade up every time I park  the car, even with the a/c on our front room never cools down, and it's way too hot to run by 8 am.   Summer.  It's here.

Time to entertain my kids inside for the next 6 months.  Or at least outside activities will only be super early or at the pool.  Unfortunately our community pool is under repair so that will make it tougher to go swimming.  Indoor stuff it is.

I hope the kids don't go stir crazy.  I hope I don't go stir crazy!  Never mind, I KNOW I will go stir crazy.  I hope it just doesn't happen until at least August.  I've got some ideas to mix it up and hopefully stave off cabin fever.  Our plans for the summer include teaching the kids how to do laundry, visiting the science center, swim days at Grandma's house, a trip to San Diego, weekly crafts at the local library, and plenty of video game time.  I've got a full slate of piano lessons on the docket (five new students starting this week!), a primary program to write, and 14 mile runs to work up to by September.  M's got her first trip to girls' camp coming up and J will leave Cub Scouts behind and so probably have his first camp out as well. K's supposed to learn how to write his last name before starting kindergarten next month (isn't that just wrong, summer break is so short), and we are planning to tackle potty training with S.

What do you think?  Lazy days of summer with just enough variety to keep us sane?  Or jam-packed and overscheduled?

I guess we'll see.

Comments

Kaycee said…
I think your list is a good one. Not too jammed packed, but enough.
that would be sooooo hard for me to live in AZ. It's too hot for me in the 90's to go outside.

Popular Posts