Decisions

It's raining out there!

Woohoo!  I'm so glad it's raining today, instead of two days ago when people were warning me of a potential downpour.  I had my race on Saturday-- after all that stress and worry with the injury, I did manage to complete a half marathon.  It was challenging, both mentally and physically, and yet I'm so proud of myself.  My time was fantastic (for me, I won't win any prizes) at 2:18:15. That's about an average 10:30 min/mile pace (including one bathroom stop with a line), which means I was really moving.  I'm proud of myself and ready to sign up for the next race!

Which brings us to the dilemma.

If I sign up for next year's race right now (before March 12th or something) I get a huge discount on the price compared to waiting later in the year.  So I'm very, very tempted to register for next year's marathon now.  I have a little bit of birthday money left, enough to do it.  But a year is a long time away.  A lot can happen.  Like this year I could always drop down and do the half instead of the full later, and it would probably even be cheaper than registering straight out for the half later.

But.

My husband nearly through a fit when I brought it up this morning.  His opinion is that I tried this training for a marathon thing already and it didn't work.  He's insistent that what we have learned from last fall's injury is my limit-- that I simply can't train for a distance longer than a half marathon.  He said that if I try it again I will only hurt myself again and then spend weeks depressed because I'm not able to train.

In the end Terence grudgingly admitted that he'll support me if I decide to do it, but he doesn't think it's wise.  He thinks I should just concentrate on speed work and seeing if I can get a better time for the half.

But.

I want to do a marathon, just once.  Just to prove it to myself.  I'm turning 40 this year, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't get easier as I get older, so I can't tell myself that I'll try it later, it'll be easier then.

I don't really believe that it will ever be easier on my body than it is now.  If I'm going to do it.

However, I don't want to wreck my body either.  There's no doubt that running has been hard on my ankles & feet.  But I also know more than one person with foot or ankle problems who's never run.  So does it mean anything at all?  Will giving up on a marathon really make a significant difference?

I don't know.  I can't decide.

(No, all the dilemmas in my life don't revolve around exercise and races and stuff like that.  It's just the easiest topic for me to blog about.)

Comments

Popular Posts