Hugo, Schmugo

Have you heard of the kerfluffle surrounding the Hugo awards this year?  Do you even know what the Hugos are?  I'm a bit fuzzy on the award myself.  Pretty much the only thing I knew for years about the Hugo came from a blurb on my copy of an Orson Scott Card book which proclaimed that he was the only winner of the Hugo for best novel in back to back years.  I kind of assumed that getting a Hugo for best novel was kind of like getting an Oscar for best picture.  But it never occurred to me to look for books that have won Hugos (kind of like I never bother to watch Oscar winning movies just because they got an award).  Anyway, I would still be completely clueless and in the dark about anything Hugo related, except that I follow a couple of blogs that give advice for self-publishers (like me), especially to indie writers of sci-fi or fantasy (me again).  And apparently there's been this whole popularity war between the "establishment" writers and the non-traditional crowd (best as I can tell).  It really blew up out of control this year, with a lot of wild accusations being thrown around.  I ended up rather avidly following some of the updates and even secretly considering myself a "Sad Puppy" (I've always preferred the underdog, anyway).  I never went so far as to spend the money to buy a membership to the convention so I could vote myself (not much money to spare around here, and I was afraid I would be honor bound to have to read a bunch of dreck so I could honestly vote on it).  But I was curious to see what the results were, and I was hoping that the huge turnout would mean that good stories would win, more fans would mean more exciting stuff, and more emphasis on good stories!  I always love a well-told story.  And secretly I would love to see some snooty types get their comeuppance.

Well, the convention where these awards are given out happened this last weekend, and I was rather appalled to see the results.  For one, the snooty types didn't get their comeuppance.  Because apparently they rallied the troops to make sure people voted "No award" in several of the categories, which is basically a slap in the face to the people who were nominated.  It was kind of like a junior high level fiasco.  I was disgusted.  It was also clear that these industry insiders don't consider sci-fi/fantasy fans like myself real fans-- or they don't care about my opinions.  As an indie writer of very non-literary young adult sci-fi, I would be anathema also.  All of this is their prerogative; they are welcome to whatever opinions they like to have.  However, it made the Hugo award turn from something neutral that at least kind of engendered some kind of curiosity from me into something that makes my stomach turn.  I don't think I'll be following the Hugos anymore.  And I think I'm even less likely to pick up a Hugo winning book (unless it's by an author I'd read anyway).

Oh well.  At least from some of the commentary I've seen, most of the people who voted "no award" don't really care if people like me vote or even read Hugo winning books.  They are welcome to their little pat-themselves-on-the-back club award.  But ugh, remind me that should I ever want to make a real effort to get into the writing business to steer clear of that crowd!

Comments

Popular Posts