Wednesday Wonders

This week has been one of blessings!

Around here things have been super tight in the money department.  Things are always tight, of course-- you don't support a family of seven on a cop's salary easily-- but lately things have been very much on the edge.  Things keep breaking, you see, or little things like dentist bills pile up, and we had to clean out our emergency savings fund.  Terence had worked a lot of off-duty jobs (traffic control for road construction, usually) but for whatever reason those checks were slow to show up.  We were at the point were all the savings was gone, and every week we were praying desperately for another check to come in so we would have some grocery money.  No wiggle room at all.  Terence finally had a pretty big check come in-- and I thought we would be able to relax knowing we would for sure have a couple of weeks' worth of grocery money-- and then we had that tire incident that I blogged about right before Thanksgiving.  There it went.  But this week, we had a series of miracles that reminded me just how much Heavenly Father is blessing our family-- and how He is using the hands of others to do so.

Last week was a pretty busy, stressful one.  During the weekend, while trying to get caught up on some housework, our vacuum broke on me.  What luck I have with vacuums. . . luckily, the wand still worked so I was able to vacuum our very nasty, kid-trashed carpet but it was long and tricky using only the wand and hose part.  I looked online but Dyson doesn't sell the part that broke.  A total bummer.  I resigned myself to slow, hose-and-wand vacuuming for the unforeseeable future because the money for a new Dyson was simply not in the budget.  And since this is now our 8th vacuum-- and the two Dysons we've had have lasted way better than the other brands we've tried-- I wasn't willing to spend money on a cheaper replacement either.

Tuesday I had what was supposed to be my final follow up doctor visit from that hypertensive crisis back in September.  I'd finally gathered my courage to go to the cardiologist (though Terence made the appointment for me, because I was too much of a chicken to do that part).  The cardiologist I went to is also my father's doctor, and knowing my father's history (Dad was kind of young for his heart issues) made him decide that he wanted an echocardiogram.  So I'm not done.  He also looked at my blood pressure numbers and prescribed meds.  He was blunt.  My blood pressure is simply too high for someone my age.  At least the EKG-- the second one I've had in three months-- looked normal.

This whole visit (though I liked the doctor, and everyone in the office was very nice) was extremely stressful-- pounding headache kind of stressful.  Tuesday night I was a basket case.

But Wednesday was the day of miracles, big and small.  The first was a certified mail letter that I had to go into the post office to pick up.  I was a bit paranoid that it was going to be something awful, like a letter from a collection agency over something I didn't even know about.  (Aren't I an optimist?)  Instead, it turned out to be a Christmas bonus gift card from the company I edit newsletters for.  That was just awesome and unexpected.  The next fantastic part was when I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up my new blood pressure medication.  We have insurance, but I still wasn't happy about adding a prescription co-pay to our monthly bills.  But a month's supply of my new pills cost a whopping $2.41.  More awesomeness!

The miracles continued, and they only grew in size.  After school we decorated gingerbread houses at my mom's house, and she gave me an envelope filled with cash-- instead of giving Terence and I Christmas presents, my parents were "gifting" us the new tires that we had to buy for the van.  Extra awesomeness, because now I could use the money that was going to pay for the tires on groceries.

The biggest miracle of all was waiting just inside my front door when we got home late that night from my mom's.  It was an enormous shipping package that had arrived when Terence was home-- he had brought it inside but had not opened it.  It turned out to be a brand new Dyson vacuum, with a gift note attached that said some of the sweetest things.  It was sent to us anonymously.

I was flabbergasted.  And quite near bawling.  And reminded once again, that things always work out.

Thank you to all our Christmas angels, and for miracle big and small.

I am one lucky, blessed woman.

Comments

Popular Posts