A Plug for an App

It's late on a Sunday night, and I really should be getting into bed.  But I just finished up with my evening routine (the kids are still awake), and I realized that I haven't taken any time to post in awhile.  Normally that wouldn't be enough to convince me to blog when it's this late, but it's one of my habitica dailies (not blogging, exactly, but every day I'm supposed to do some kind of writing).  So this kills two birds with one stone.

What is Habitica?

It's been an awesome tool around our house.  It's basically an app for turning your daily life into a RPG game.  Now, I am no expert at RPG's-- I've actually never played one before.  But when I learned about this (from my local Nanaowrimo forum) I thought it would be a great thing to try, especially with my kids.  I thought since I write to-do lists anyway, this would make it more fun.

It really has been great.  My three older kids have all joined up and we have formed a "party" that tackles "quests" where we try to defeat monsters or bosses by completing chores and other tasks.  There is the website on the computer and also a mobile app (I use both interchangeably).  My kids love it.  They are obsessed with trying to earn potions and eggs and quest items and cool equipment and pets.  The best part is that they have checklists that include things I used to have to constantly nag about: putting on deodorant, saying personal prayers, brushing teeth, piano practice, etc.  I gave them each some suggestions but really they created their own lists.  It's been a lot of fun, and it has motivated me to get tasks done that I would have otherwise procrastinated eternally.

I'm usually pretty good about getting my tasks done (like daily writing) but less accomplished at earning points for positive habits I'm trying to form (like getting to bed by 9:30pm).  Yep, another day when I didn't make it.  *sigh*  Well, there's always tomorrow!

Comments

Popular Posts