A Minute to Breathe

Well, I survived.

Both the copyedits from Quintan Edge and the half marathon. That was pretty much my week (well, and painting my bathroom).  I have just a tiny bit left on Quintan Edge and then it goes back to Kristy for the final formatting.  That's pretty exciting news, because this book has been sitting on my computer for years now, and I am finally close to getting it out!  (Yes, for those of you who have been pestering me for the next book, it's coming soon, I promise!)

The half marathon was yesterday.  Whew!!!  I'm finally walking without moaning so that's good.  I had a good race-- I didn't get to ring the PR (personal record) bell, but I'm happy with it anyway.  Between the injuries and the weight gain over the last couple of years, I'm just not as fast as I used to be.  Still, making it 13.1 miles in less than two and a half hours was my goal, and I made it!  (My official time was 2:21:43, with 10 min 50 sec/mile pace.  Which for me is pretty good!)  It's funny because every time I run a race my goal is to finish with a semi-reasonable time, and someone always wants to know what my place was.  As if I might make the top ten or something *snort*.  Well, for those of you who are dying to know what place I came in, it was 2,381st.  I'm a speed demon!

The not-so-great news is that my blood pressure is not being the most cooperative again.  At first I could blame it on the cold medicine I was taking (apparently it raises your bp) and then I blamed it on forgetting to take a pill, but my bottom number is still running high.  What the heck????  Why do the meds do a fantastic job at keeping my upper number reasonable but not my lower one? Any doctors out there who can answer that for me?  My cardiologist didn't have a reason for it, he just said it was the most concerning part of my blood pressure.  Because apparently it's not super common.  Ugh.  He also told me not to stress about my numbers, but I know he'll want me to report this so he can increase my dosage again if needed.

I really, really want it to not be needed.  The idea of having to take a prescription med for the rest of my life was not high on my list, and the higher the dosage, the greater the chance of side effects, which makes me un-thrilled about these meds.  Especially since I apparently truly need them.  (Lifestyle changes apparently don't cut it with me.)

But the good news is that I've got a breather coming up.  Spring break is in March, and I intend to enjoy the hiatus at least as much as the kids, maybe even more.  March is one of my favorite months in the desert!  Definitely spring, with longer days and cactus blooms.  I can't wait!

Comments

Popular Posts