Stubborn Diva or Staid Traditionalist?

The older I get, the harder change gets.  My sister told me today that she's lost any tiny sense of adventure she ever had, and today I realized I am going the same direction.  Which is odd for the woman who just a few years ago was planning all kinds of new things to try. (Ragnar races, anyone?  The full marathon?  Mountain biking with Terence?)

I don't want to try new stuff.  The anxiety isn't worth it.

For example, this week my trusty ipod Nano quit working on me.  It was a major tragedy!!!  I used that Nano for at least five hours a day, almost every day.  Sometimes longer.  It provided all of our music in the car, my music while writing, and my workout entertainment.  Terence tried to convince me that I could just do what "everyone" else is doing-- use my phone for it.  But I don't have the memory for my music library on the phone (I had a 16 GB Nano and it was well-filled), and no desire to be using data to stream for hours a day-- not to mention that my battery would drain like crazy.  So Terence, being the long-suffering, generous husband that he is, decided to get me another Nano.

However.

Apple discontinued selling the Nano last July.  The only Nanos to be had were for at least triple the price from 3rd party sellers on places like Amazon and Ebay. I had a full-on grown woman temper tantrum.  (I plead the fifth on whether or not any swearing at Apple took place.)  I'm not an Apple fan in general.  When I finally caved and got a new phone a couple years back, I outright rejected an iPhone because I just didn't like it.  But I loved my Nano.  It was my fourth one.  (Yes, I've run them through the washer a few times, and one even got ran over by the van....)

Again, Terence suggested I just use my phone, and again, I protested that I had to have a MP3 player.  So he ordered me a Made in China wanna-be knockoff Nano that had decent reviews.

It sucked.  Well, mostly it was user error.  Because I HATED trying to figure out something new.  It was nothing like my Nano.  But it was temperamental also (it didn't want to sync to my computer, and sometimes just shut off altogether for no reason), and the result was that I spent an entire evening in tears and then had worryingly high blood pressure numbers at bedtime.

Over a MP3 player.  Because it was new and different.

*sigh*

Heaven forbid I ever need to get used to something like a new house.  I'll probably have a stroke!

Comments

Popular Posts