A Summer Update

I get to see my sister tonight!

Granted, I last saw Amy less than a week ago.  I flew with two of the girls out to Dallas and spent a glorious four days with her family.  We took the kids to Six Flags over Texas one day and spent another at the pool, but mostly we just hung out and talked and the girls played.  But Amy moved all the way to the other side of Texas almost a year ago, and I have been missing my sister like crazy.  So the best part of getting on the plane in Dallas was knowing that she would be following me back out here shortly afterward.  We get her for several weeks here in Arizona and one week for a family reunion in California.  My kids are so excited!!!  (Especially K, who was seriously bummed that I didn't include him in the trip to Dallas.)

Summer is continuing its whirlwind pace.  I had a few days of a break, and I crashed hard.  Really, I was supposed to be catching up on a bunch of projects and getting my house spic-and-span before the next trip.  But without a fairy godmother, I don't think I've got a chance of getting my house sparkling clean, and I was truly exhausted, so it's probably good that I took a few days to veg rather than work like Super(crazy)woman.  (I did managed to deep clean my laundry room, and I taught K how to clean the bathroom, so I can cross two projects off my list).

On the writing end, since I finished the first draft of #5 in the Roran Curse series I've kind of drastically hit the brakes.  Not intentionally, and I have written a couple of chapters of #6.  But I really needed some time to relax and catch up on my own reading.  So I took the time to re-read a few of my favorite fun novels, dug in and got another 200 pages read of the mammoth Alexander Hamilton biography, and then tried a brand new (to me) YA author, Aprilynne Pike, whipping through five of her books in just as many days.

My verdict on Aprilynne's Wings series: light, fun, easy reads with a novel take on the Fae.  Occasionally strong language but nothing that made me stop reading.  However, her Life After Theft?  PASS.  Wish I'd added it to my Did Not Finish pile.  You can check out my Goodreads review if you want more details.

*sigh* At first I was really excited, because I thought I'd found another author I could pick up an read without hesitation.  Nope.

My search for authors who write consistently clean, upbeat, fun novels continues . . . .

Comments

LaNita Pete said…
Oh, man, I love reading about your life, as crazy or fun as it gets!! I just wanted to mention that I have a friend who writes and is having some success. I can't remember if I told you about her yet. Her name is Jenni James. She lived in my ward and I was her visiting teacher, then she moved to Fountain Green, a small town on the way to Manti from here. She does a take on Jane Austen books that is different and cute. I love following her on Facebook because she is such a multi-talented person (like yourself). She also paints, sings, cooks fabulously, has 7 kids, and somehow makes it all work. She was divorced when she moved into our ward, but met and married a wonderful guy. They wanted to be as self-sufficient as possible, thus the move to a big place in FG where they can have animals and grow all their food.

Popular Posts