NaNo Update and Tooth Gratitude!

I hit 30,000 words today!  Hallelujah, I'm over halfway there!  This book is not going anywhere remotely where I expected it to, but hey, life of a pantser.  (Meaning I write by the seat of my pants.  No outlines here.  The nicer term is "discovery writer."  I have to write it out to discover what is going to happen.)  Just don't ask me what this book is about or you'll get a confused ramble.  I don't know what this book is about yet.  It's a fantasy and there's magic and a girl who's the "chosen one" and an evil queen . . . see, doesn't it sound like I'm including every standard trope ever?  But we'll see where it goes.  Maybe nowhere, but then Terence might howl.  Poor Terence, waiting for a story that might never get written!

On the non-writing front it has been the month of dental work around here, and it's not over yet.  December will be the month of living at the dentist as well.  Not for me, per se, except that I always have to be at the dentist for moral support (or well, because I'm the mom).  I had my regular checkup earlier in the month with a thumbs up and a cheerful "Whatever you're doing, keep it up!" from the dentist. But the kids and Terence . . . let's see, there are multiple extractions, root canals, fillings, crowns, deep cleanings, and a bridge on the docket.  This week I spent all Thursday morning at the dentist with J, K, and S.  J only needed one filling, which was a miracle, considering that the boy hardly ever brushes his teeth.  I don't know how he can stand the nasty mouth, but then he's 15 so....anyway, he elected to skip the numbing, saying that needles were worse than the filling.  Must have worked, he was done in about five minutes and no worse for wear.  Poor K though-- he needed three fillings and two crowns.  And when he got home, he FREAKED when he looked in the mirror.   He rushed out-- "Mom, my teeth are SILVER!"

Well, yes, son.  You now have silver crowns on two of your molars.  When M had to have crowns on her baby molars we called them princess teeth, and B was actually jealous of her.  But K is not interested in having princess teeth.  I thought for a moment he was going to hunt for pliers and try to pry them off himself.  Luckily he has calmed down about it.  I think he's getting used to it.

S had a tooth that died and needed to be pulled.  It had a nasty abcess.  Honestly, I don't know how she wasn't crying from the pain.  But she did great this time, and she was quite the hoot on the nitrous.  She kept giggling.  The only time I've seen one of my kids react to laughing gas by actually laughing.

Terence is the dental disaster, the one with seven more appointments to go.  His mouth is a mess, and now he is missing a front tooth altogether.  Moral of the story?  Don't go twelve years between dentist visits.

Don't ask me how much this is costing.  Even with dental insurance I want to cry.  We are going to be paying it off for quite awhile.  Well, at least we are helping the dentists buy Christmas presents for their kids, I guess.

Anyway, since is it the month of gratitude, I'm so thankful we DO have dental insurance, and access to good dentists so my family doesn't have to live in constant tooth pain.  And they will be able to eat Thanksgiving dinner next week!

I can't wait for Thursday!  My sisters both will be in town, and Kristi and her family are coming also.  We are going to be a big, noisy, fun crowd!  The only drawback is that Terence will be working, but at least we will have him for Christmas again this year.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts