Life Goes On

So how goes it in the land of stay-at-home, shelter-in-place, self-quarantining?  All is well in my little den.

Oh geez, does it ever feel like a den some days.  With too many bodies piled on top of each other.

This week we started our school "enrichment learning activities."  They are technically not mandatory, only we have treated them of such so that our kids are doing something other than watching youtube and playing video games all day.  Some days the assignments have been easy-peasy and fun.  Other days, the fifth grader gets a five paragraph essay and you wish, oh you wish, you could send him back to school so his teachers could drag him through it.  Then there's the fighting over the computers.  We actually have enough computers in the house for everyone-- kind of-- except that three of them are too old and slow to run some of the learning sites.  Unfortunately, that means I have to schedule out time on MY computer, which doesn't make me the happiest camper ever. 

There has been some fun to liven up the week.  Like my washer leaked from the door last Saturday night, flooding my laundry room.  That was fun.  When I had piles of dirty laundry too.  Yay.  Fortunately, I was able to spot the problem, and YouTube had videos to help.  Did you know your front loading washer has a part called the door boot seal?  No?  Me neither, until last Saturday.  Apparently this boot seal is held in place by a wire and a spring.  For some unknown reason my door seal came unhooked from the wire near the bottom.  I didn't need any new parts, but I did have to disassemble the whole front of my washer and remove the spring wire and reinstall it around the door boot seal.  My DIY repair worked-- at least so far.  Fingers crossed-- hear me, baby, hold together!

Also  my body thought things were too boring around here so I got the fun of five hours of on-and-off nosebleeding one day.  Well, that was just the one day.  I've had a couple other nosebleeds during the week but they didn't last as long.  M jokes it's the coronavirus and I'm going to die.  It's the symptom everyone mentions, right????  Nosebleeds? Uh, no?  Shoot.  Guess I have to go back to my theory that between the dry air and allergies and high blood pressure, my nose just isn't happy.

On the real side of fun, the younger three kids and I played volleyball with a beach ball and the dogs for an hour one day when the weather was nice.  The dogs make for interesting obstacles.  It was very laid back but it got us moving and laughing so that was a definite highlight.

Today we fasted like many others did at the request of President Nelson for relief for the world from coronavirus.  Every member of our family chose to participate.  For K and S it was their very first time, and since they are so young, they only fasted until noon.  But they did a great job and I'm very proud of them.  It was a great experience, and one that helped our family feel united in asking God for help to get through this. 

No matter what happens, we are living in memorable times.  The trick is to make sure that there are good memories mixed in with the challenging ones.

On we go!  Good luck!

Comments

Popular Posts