To Help or Not to Help

Where is the dividing line between being charitable and helping someone in need or creating dependence in someone else? I know this is a big topic nationally right now with all the bailouts and stuff, but I have been pondering this on a more personal level.

It's happened three times in the last month that different people who are close to our family have come to us asking for money. (Well, twice by the same person and another time by someone else.) In all three cases the money was needed for something important or to alleviate some dire circumstances. Unfortunately, Terence and I are skating the edge this month while we wait for some overdue checks to come in, so we weren't able to help much. But the question I have been asking myself is, if we had the money, would it have been right to bail them out anyway?

In one of the cases, we have provided money and other assistance many, many times over the years. In the other, it would be a first, but knowing the situation, I wonder if other aid isn't available.

As someone who is striving to become more like Christ, I have turned to the scriptures for guidance, but I'm still not sure. We are told in Matthew 5:42 "Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away" and in D&C 42:42 "he that is idle shall not eat the bread nor wear the garments of the laborer." Certainly the Church teaches us to be self-reliant and not dependent on others, yet to be generous and charitable.

I don't know. In my own life we would have struggled much, much more if my parents had not been so generous of their resources with us when we needed it. I feel they were helping us to become independent (I'm not sure how they view it :-) but what if no matter how much help you give someone they still mismanage all their money away? Or spend it on destructive vices?

A dilemma. It's even harder when the people in question are people you love and care about.

Let me know what you think. And while you're at it, vote in my latest poll-- it's (another) good-natured debate between Terence and I.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have pondered this one many times, Heidi, to give...or not to give, when asked. My problem is not family but neighbors or ward members. I have given much in the past when I felt it was necessary, ....food and money, or help with my car doing taxi service or loaning my car. I have a problem with people who don't manage well and then expect others to bail them out. That is a pet peeve of mine. I think all that I have I have worked so hard for (being a single parent most of the time and raising 5 kids) so I hate it when someone expects help. I've prayed about it many times, as I feel as you do and want to do the right thing. It's really a tough one. Good food for thought.
VKMyers said…
I think in some cases it's better to point them in the direction of resources that may be able to help them. We've given money to family, but only when we know it's needed and that the family member isn't mismanaging money. I had an instructor who carried PB and bread in the trunk of her car and when someone came up to her car asking for handouts, she'd give them a couple of sandwiches. I also had a guy in a ward when I was a youth who went to pick up a pizza and a guy was asking for money. He thought it was a great teaching moment for his kids. So they bought an extra pizza and offered it to the guy. He cussed them out and told them he didn't want pizza he wanted cash. So hard to know what to do... Give not knowing if they will squander it. Or not give and have them possibly suffer for it.
Ashlie Dalton said…
This is a hard one... I think every situation is different, and I think it is smart to pray about each individually. For awhile I was helping my sister with money and then realized I wasn't actually "helping" her, so I thought of other ways I could help her. I sat her down and explained how a bank account works and how to use a credit card- to build credit only. You can and should only carry people for so long until hopefully they can get things figured out for themselves. However, I remember someone who helped me once when I was trying to pay for school and going through a really tough time with my family at the time. I think as long as you never feel like you're being used or taken advantage of then it is a good thing. But I still think the best advice would be to pray about it. Good luck- and good topic!
Kaycee said…
I think it depends on who you are helping. There are many people out there like friends, family or who ever that do take advantage of people or are the kind of people that take, take and take and like free hand outs and don't work hard for what they have, they just mooch. I don't give them diddly squat! We have been in that situation a many a time and we have learned that we arent helping them any by giving them money. They need to learn to be self reliant.
But in other instantces there have been some honest hard working people who are in need of help, and I think you can tell the difference. pray about it.
Abby said…
This made me think of the Church. The Church helps you out when your closest associates cannot. But the help is conditional and it doesn't last forever. If you're not actively trying to pay your bills and become financially independent, the Church will cut off funding. I recall a fellow in our old ward who wouldn't look for a job very forcefully and just waited for the church checks to come in every month. Finally the bishop said it was enough and the guy left the ward--probably to go to another church to try the same thing. Helping is good, but eventually you have to stop before it breeds dependence on you in them, and no funds for you.

Popular Posts