Me Vs. Mr. Yippy

August is starting to wind down and that means that my triathlon is coming up in only a few short weeks. It's kind of nice this time around since I'm not very nervous about it. Last year at the end of August I was starting to get rather panicky at the thought of the upcoming race. This time around I've been training for much longer distances, so the actual race should be easier. (Other than the uphill run, which I'm sure will still be torture in the 105 degree heat.)

Since I've nearly reached the big event, my training schedule has me doing some crazy long distances, especially on the bike rides. Now the only way to fit those in since school has started is to get up early. I mean EARLY. This morning my alarm went off at 3:45 am, and I was pushing the bike out of the garage at 4:00. The benefit to starting off on a bike ride two hours before sunrise is that it's only 90 degrees outside. The drawback (other than the lack of sleep) is that it can be downright scary when it's still pitch black outside.

You might remember that last fall I had an early morning run in with a freaky dude on a bike ride. I guess that I've had enough time to calm down (or grow forgetful) because I am back to making these loops around the neighborhood that bring me right back past the scene of the trouble again. This time I consider myself prepared because I make sure I have my cell phone and my cop-strength pepper spray (nasty stuff). Now I'm prepared to take on any number of freaky dudes! (At least that's what I tell myself.)

However, during the last few months I have not had any need to unleash the pepper spray on any perverts standing around waiting to expose themselves. No, my big problem has been dogs. One dog in particular.

I knew from the beginning that I might need that pepper spray to protect myself from an animal. We have packs of wild dogs as well as coyotes that roam our area, and I even nearly ran into a herd of javelinas one morning. Trust me, I got out of their way. You don't want to mess with a javelina. However, the wildlife has pretty much left me alone, until one family that lives along my looping route got a couple of little yapping monsters that live outside in an unfenced yard. One of the dogs is content just to bark up a storm when I pass by, but the other dog must think I am a caribou to be taken down or something. Every morning that I pass he chases me down the street, nipping at my heels and trying to rouse the neighborhood with his high-pitched barks. I've never been caught yet-- after all, I am on a bike-- but he's never given up trying.

Since this morning's ride was nearly two hours long, I had to pass the wannabe Rambo dog four times. Apparently this dog has been working out because the first time I passed he nearly caught me. Dang, that little dog has got some speed! (At least he doesn't startle me any more. I know he's coming.) But the second time, he actually managed to snap onto my shoe. He couldn't get a really good bite in at that speed, but he did succeed in alarming me. I'm not really worried about being mauled by someone's little lapdog, but I don't want to be nipped on the ankle or something. Plus I really was reluctant to spray the annoying dog and give him several days of agony, not to mention a new fluorescent paint job on his fur. (Can you imagine what the family would think when they came out and found their dog with a bright orange face?) So on the third loop, I figured I'd get my speed up as fast as I could manage and I'd ride on the opposite side of the road to give myself a few extra seconds to get by before he could catch me. It worked, and I actually taunted the dumb dog out loud as I passed. (Yes, you get a little nutty that early in the morning I think.)

For the last loop, I was complacently sure that I had the formula for getting past the little furry menace. Unfortunately, as I drew closer, a car was coming the opposite direction, so I couldn't ride on the far side of the road. Still, I figured if I pressed for my top speed, it should be fine.

Except that Mr. Yippy can apparently learn new tricks. When I reached his house he was sitting right in the middle of my lane, waiting for me. It became a neck and neck sprint, both of us putting forth our best efforts. Maybe I should bring Mr. Yippy to the race in September. With his motivation I'll probably manage my best time ever.

(And yes, I did win the dash. This time, anyway.)

Comments

Kaycee said…
I can just picture you trying to out ride the dogs.
The owners of those dogs should keep them in. That is crazy. Can't you do something about the dogs being out like that?
Anonymous said…
You have a lot of guts, Heidi. I wouldn't dare do that. I am such a chicken any more. Good for you, tho for getting up that early and biking. You are certainly dedicated.
The Hatch's said…
I say spray the dumb dog and throw a letter in an envelope (to give it a little weight) on their porch telling them how annoying their dog is and if he bits you or your belongings one more time you are calling the pound. I'm sure there is some sort of leash law most cities have them.

Now as for your training you are a machine! Keep it up and good luck with your race. You have a lot more guts then I racing in that nasty heat.
VKMyers said…
You are a lot nicer than I am. I'd probably try and run the thing over or else kick it in the head. :o)
Lissy said…
You are tough, lady! Isn't there some kind of law about letting your dog run loose like that? Your husband is a cop right? If I were you I'd ask him to go over there to let the dog's owners know there'd been some complaints!
Heidi said…
There is a leash law, technically, for our county, but since we are in a rural area and the offending dogs belong to a farm laborer's trailer, I don't think we'd get much response by reporting it. Maybe if the dog actually drew blood or something. I have no intention of ever letting it go that far.

Terence votes that I should spray the dog and teach it a lesson.
Becky said…
Heidi I cannot believe you are up at 3:45 am biking!!! I am suitably impressed. What time do you go to bed? I have been dragging around all day because I was up at 5:15 to take Nate to football; then did yardwork for 2 hours and then housework and I'm really tired. I can't imagine 3:45. Hats off to you! Good luck - what day is the triatholon?

I'd want to pepper spray that dog for sure.... and old people can be frustrating so cut yourself some slack.

Love you and thanks so much for all your support of Tara!!

Becky

Popular Posts