Harry Wants Your Soul

Most of you probably know this about me already, but I am a great fan of the Harry Potter series. OK, I don't qualify as a fanatic. For example, I didn't attend any of the releases for the books or the movies dressed as a witch. Taking a "Harry Potter Tour" of England is not on my bucket list. Nor have I lost myself in wishing that there really was a Hogwarts and that just maybe someday I'd get to go there. But I do qualify as a dedicated fan-- ever since my introduction to the series I have eagerly awaited the next book release. I went so far as to load up my children and make the hour drive to Gallup, NM to get my midnight copy of Half-Blood Prince. I've seen all of the movies shortly after their release and own all of them on DVD (as well as the score on CD to all the movies but Chamber of Secrets). I even had the honor of getting one of my essays posted on the Mugglenet fan site, not an easy feat! (I was quite proud of that.)

And now apparently, because I enjoy Harry Potter, I have lost my chance at going to heaven.

At least, according to one rather opinionated poster on LDS Living's website, all of us "easy going LDS members" who like Harry Potter will find it impossible to remain steadfast in the gospel or hold to the iron rod. This person smugly informed that he knows (because of his familiarity with the Satanic Bible) that Harry Potter is chock full of satanic symbols, and that it is just another subtle way for us to end up with "servants of Satan in our bodies and household".

A later comment went even further declaring that he (or she, I guess) doesn't care if we read the book or not-- only it verifies what the Lord said about many being called but few are chosen. (Um, this person also declared that BYU is "liberal"-- that made me laugh out loud. Liberal! I think that is the first time ever that I have heard the Y described that way. I wonder what this guy's definition of conservative would be???)

Oh dear.

Maybe Terence and I should cancel our plans to go see Deathly Hallows Part 2 tomorrow?

Maybe not. I can't help but laugh when I hear or read of opinions like this. After all, do these people consider all kinds of fantasy as evil? Is anything that portrays sorcery or magic in any positive way something to be shunned at all costs? I can't pretend to answer that for other people, of course, but I do sometimes wonder if these same people shun C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, for example. (There are plenty of examples of magic being used by good characters in these books. Lucy herself performs spells out of a book in Voyage of the Dawn Treader!)

Harry Potter, when it comes down to it, is entertainment. It may not be the kind of entertainment that is your cup of tea. That's perfectly fine. But I don't think that it is so offensive or destructive that someone would be justified in denouncing anybody else who chooses to watch the movies or read the books. Perhaps a little beam-plucking would be appropriate before trying to cast the mote out others' eyes!

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
haha, that's hilarious. some people kill me...
i love harry potter, the chronicles of narnia, and lots of other fantasy too- with the exception of lord of the rings- which was too long & deep to hold my attention.
see you in hell my friend.
kristi said…
It's funny hhow people think they can define your faith - your good or bad, by what you watch or do...

Alex and I had a similiar discussion last night. In Gospel principles they said there are good people in other religions but he's never seen them ban together the way they do when it's against the mormon religion. I know I'm sensitive as I am a pretty recent convert but the things I've heard especially in this ward make me want to say is that not true about the mormon religion? In Sunday school I was taught acceptance of all religions. I wasn't taught any were bad, just that there were differences. I like to think that all relions are working to the same goal - to join our Heavenly Father in Heaven, we just go about in differently. We are all good people with some people struggling along the way.
Maybe this is off topic now, but it was driving me nuts. I need to find something to do 2nd hour. Some people are very rigid, no grey area...

Popular Posts